Chapter Seven: Old Ways

Awhile after Hira'a, we all stood in Yu Dao waiting for the results of the elections. We had negotiated that Yu Dao would rule itself, we were waiting to see who would be in the new coalition government.

We were dressed in our finest, Katara, Sokka, Toph, Aang and his acolytes, even Iroh was there but no Zuko. "It's a bummer Zuko couldn't be here. He practically made this movement." I sighed.

"Ursa and her family are visiting the capital city for the first time since her exile. Fire Lord Zuko needs to be there to support them." Iroh replied, and my mind wondered off.

I started thinking about what we said to each other after he found his mother, the promises we made. I really hoped it wasn't hollow, I snapped out of it to hear Kori announce the new government.

"Citizens of Yu Dao, the election results are in! Please welcome your new coalition government." The audience cheered and clapped. 

"Fire Nation alongside Earth Kingdom... you really think those people will get along well enough to govern this place, Twinkle Sparks?" Toph asked.

"Yu Dao is now a symbol of peace and harmony in the world. I'll try to keep them in line." I Replied with a smirk, though Toph couldn't see it.

Later right before the banquet, we were all heading to the feast I saw an air acolyte waving at me. I saw that there was something different about her, she had a feel to her.

So I started walking towards her. I tried to quickly yet unrudely make my way through the crowds. I looked back to see she was gone, I ran through the crowd and ran out the door. "Hey come back!" I shouted, as I stumbled through.

She stood in the courtyard with her hood covering her face. I walked closer and she walked to the balcony. She removed her hood to reveal that she was Avatar Yangchen.
"Avatar Yanghen!" I gasped. 

"Hello Gyawa." Yanghen replied, with a warm smile.

"Why are you contacting me? Is something wrong?"

"Yes, but I must tell you the whole story. Many centuries ago, a city, the greatest city of its time. One stormy evening, the city's king sent for my help. Though I was young and inexperienced, I was eager to make a difference in the world. And so I came."

                             ~Flash Back~

"You fulfilled your duties, master Boma! You don't need to come with me." I sat on my bison as she flew us to the great city.

"No! I promised the nuns I'd watch over you until you were ready to be on your own! It's never a good idea to break your promise to a nun!" The old earth bending master shouted through the storm. 

"But I've mastered all four elements." I argued.

"Only of last week!"

"I'm ready."

"That's what you think." Master Boma shouted as we approached the city.

"Pik, Pak, isn't this exciting? My first mission as the Avatar!" I said to my two lemur friends.

"Heads up, that's it down below." When we got there the king told me about what the fortune tellers foresaw. He begged me to help. I was very young and not yet fully attuned to the spirit world, but I could tell that the fortune tellers were right. So I waited on a cliff just outside of the city.

Then just past midnight, a giant spirit emerged from the depths of he ocean. Even before I could clearly make out his face I could feel him.

The spirit's grief overwhelmed me. I'd never felt anything so deep, so intense. I was afraid. I confronted him as soon as he reached the shore.