3.2 The Council

THE COUNCIL

Whispers flooded the room like ragged waves, the voices and chatters hitting the walls and ringing in my ears. The souls and auras spread in front of my eyes were overtaken by consternation, curious stares studying me from my head to toe. And for a moment, I felt my spirit willing to flee, to hide far away from those scrutinizing eyes and calculating minds. For a moment, I was scared. Scared of not being enough, scared of never being up to the task the Gods gave me.

But I let it not show.

Because hidden behind a mask woven of steel and ice were my fears and doubts, only showing to the courts the face of a worthy queen. And a powerful, fearless leader.

"Silence," I said, my voice commanding yet soft and fit for a lady. And as I ordered, silence did not only dawn on the room but had taken over each and single being. Even their thoughts paused, their auras stopped flickering like clacking flames.

Noting that neither Ramos or the King made a move to speak, I continued, taking my seat back with all the grace I could muster. All along, my heart was thundering between my lungs, but I held my head high. "I am aware you have questions, and I understand, but chaos has never been the solution."

"Indeed, chaos has never brought good as much as it has destroyed," said Father. "You ask, and we shall answer."

"My King," voiced Isal, taking the first word. "How did this happen?"

"It is an easy reply," affirmed the Court Leader, all attention turning to him. "When the demons attacked, late Queen Elena had already given birth, shortly followed by the business of the entire castle as the King was poisoned."

Ramos paused, and all attendees turned to the King, a brief muteness wrapping us. With a gesture of his hand, that muteness broke, all ears and minds drifting back to Ramos. Ever since the attack, it had been officially informed that, at any noble gathering, the mention of what happened to the King was always followed by a minute of respectful silence. Even as Father was back, Ramos didn't seem like breaking his law. A Sign of respect to his strength, I believed. And an honoring to my mother.

"But before the spies could make it to the princess and queen, Elena had already sent word to me, ordering me to send her child down to the world we call as Earth. Accompanied with the late queen's obstetrician, we saw as the princess was taken to safety. Is it clear, now, how our Highness has been safe all those years?"

"But it does not explain how none of us have sensed her strength. Even if on Earth, we should have picked its sent. Lysithea herself had thought her dead, how could we not had a clue?"

"There is always a hidden card, Claurod, and you know that best." Relaxing in his chair, head high and eyes commanding, Father talked, and no one dared not to listen. "My sun has never dimmed, and as my child and bearer of my mark, my powers could wrap hers, veiling their essences with mines. And when I could not do, Siltheres has never left his duties. As for Lysithea, I thoroughly doubt she didn't know of her existence, at least those past months as she had everything planned. Did she not? "