13. Shot at Salvation

SHOT AT SALVATION

The bruises on my throat, I realized, had healed the moment Aether's voice was no more, flesh sealing itself within instant. The blood smearing the gold of my top and edge of my cloak moved and trailed until it was snaking on the ground. There wasn't much, but the fiery crimson was stark against the white as the blood trailed to the dais.

The Mark inked under Siltheres's claws shimmered with light for a second or two before the blood seeped into it, leaving not a single trace.

The book's pages were still flicking and emanating golden dust as I pulled myself from my father's embrace, my legs surprisingly strong. I didn't wobble as I pulled my chair and sat again, the book sliding towards me like I was a magnet attracting it.

I didn’t reach for it, not as it still searched through pages and spells and secrets to what Aether wished to show me. Instead I stared at the holy creatures straight-facing me. They didn’t blink or flinch or shriek as they saw what would happen to them should I have agreed to that path. My heart felt heavy, more fissures spreading through it.

I didn't shriek or jump as Téors vanished from his perch and appeared no second later behind me, talons on my shoulders, wings tucking around me. I felt the words forming on the tip of his tongue, read through his mind, before he even spoke them.

"No.'' My voice was hoarse and raw as I repeated that answer, shoulders turning stiff as I held Siltheres's eyes.

'My—'

"No.'' Again.

Three souls. I wasn't worth three souls. Especially when two of them were immortal and old and wise. And that mortal heart and soul, that person who was willing to sacrifice himself just as much as I was willing to do it for the ones I loved--

I couldn't do that, couldn't be so selfish and bear the guilt that would torture me to death.

Siltheres's mighty form shrank, gowing smaller and smaller until he was a bit bigger than the normal size of one of his claws. He jumped onto the table and snaked his body around the right forearm leaning on the support.

And only so he wouldn't ask or beg for it again, I said, "One more time. Ask for this one more time and I will damn both of you and myself to a fate worse than this even if I have to fight Aether for it."

Everyone started, body going so hard and tense they could have been turning to stone. They didn't ask for what I saw, what the price was, didn't push me to agree. I thanked the heaven for that.

"Did you know," I added, "about Apocalys? Do you know what is going on with Carter? Do you know what real extent my magic has?"

It was that one-reply that shook me hard. "Yes." They were both fast to add, not waiting for me to continue. "We know many things that we can't speak of, some that are set in stone and bound to happen, some are in continuous relation to every single decision any soul in this world does. Some, we are free to speak about, some we have to wait for little before doing so. Others, we might wait until the end of our world and we still won't be able to tell thee."