37. Spy

SPY

The world was on fire as I soared, flames of scarlet and orange and gold devouring the skies as the sun slowly disappeared

Higher higher higher...

There had been no sound past the rattling of my winds-such mighty, powerful wings-as I shot so high the air became thin. So high no demon, king or peasant, could see nor sense me through magic. So high it felt like I could touch the edges of these skies, could reach the Thrones beyond them.

Utter silence and stillness. Nothing but winds and clouds.

The sun almost sat, and I counted the seconds, here far above a rough piece of land a good third an hour of soaring away from the capital. Above where Blake and Lysithea and all the crowds were.

Darkness seeped from around me in a halo and in a shroud, swaying and shifting with every movement, obeying to every whisper of a thought. Nightweaver-I grinned.

And fell through the skies.

The winds were shard of glasses ripping at my skin, their howling a hymn in my ears. In my blood. My wings spread and I became an eagle darting towards its prey, my magic catching every word spoken far below me, my eyes all-seeing with a terrifying clarity.

Faster. Harder. The winds screamed louder, and I shifted, my wings angled , my body already prepared to land.

The lands started taking shape, the crowds, the king and queen nothing but specs that grew the lower I fell.

"She disqualifies by sunset.''

I dove faster, magnificent artwork of shadows and muscles spreading wide and angled behind my back until my wings seemed to devour the skies. My limbs shifted, and each gasp, each cheer that echoed as I neared land was music to my ears.

Faster.

The twin thrones seemed smaller than what they'd been inside the hall, and outstretched, the bone-wings no longer folded.

Faster faster faster.

Roars rumbled, fingers and claws pointed at me, whistles were lost amongst the words, amongst the cheers, the loud wave of voices as I landed.

The thrones were firm beneath my feet, a heavy weight that didn't falter as I stood, foot on each apex, overlooking the crowd, the yards, the very queen and king.

A moment of silence stretched, then. A moment were all eyes were pinned on the Cohar standing atop the thrones. Atop the ruling Armedeses. Blake and Lysithea were unmoving through it all, heads and crowns high and unflinching. Yet Lysithea's aura was a trashing fire perhaps as mighty as the one resting beneath Leon's skin.