14.1 The Fawn Market

THE FAWN MARKET

"And you actually got away with that?" I asked, voice hoarse from laughing so much as I stared at Father's bright eyes. Even under the shadows of his large hood, I could see them glowing with amusement.

He reached for my hand from under my black cloak and interlaced his fingers with mine as we walked on the cobblestone roads of Vemor. We'd been talking and laughing since the two hours we had left the castle. He led me through some of the streets he loved most in the capital before we decided to go for the Fawn Market.

It was still early, the sun signaling nine in the morning, but I had laughed so hard I knew my stomach would hurt for the rest of the day. Unlike the three past days, the air between us was light as he talked about what his life was like before being crowned king.

"Well, I always knew Mother had a weakness for that innocent smile I mastered so well. A few adoring gazes with big eyes were enough to make her sentimental part cloud her judgment."

"You set some of the maids' dresses on fire and then turned some to stone," I said incredulously, ''and got away with some puppy eyes and a smile?"

He laughed, voice booming loud as we sauntered under the shade of an arch of intertwined trees. Gentle, golden sunlight filtered through the foliage, most of the leaves already turning to warm colors due to the autumn season. A little less than two months and those trees would be bare of life and coated with nothing but snow and ice.

"In my defense, I was a child. And one that didn't particularly like being locked up in four walls."

"Of course, you had every single right to do that."

He laughed again, his hand, still holding mine gently swaying in the space between us.

"I wonder how much disasters I can get away from you with a couple smiles," I mused, swinging my arm back and forth between us. It was childish, but this conversation--this joking and messing around and just being alone--felt like a dream I'd wished for so many times in the past I couldn't believe it was finally real.

"Don't even try that, darling." I arched an eyebrow. "I know better than to fall for those tricks."

"Not fair." I whined, taking my hand from his, crossing my arms, and pouting as best as I could without cracking. I failed once he chuckled and found myself smiling hard as he placed an arm around my shoulders.

Childish indeed--but it was something different, something I'd never been allowed to have before.

The citizens around us didn't give us a second glance, most of them in a rush to reach the market before all goods sold out. Many of them were hooded, and since the cloths we'd put one were nothing fancy, we easily passed as commoners enjoying the vibrancy of the capital.