Chapter 2: Welcome to Konoha

A/N: See the end of chapter for notes
================================

MITSUKI'S P.O.V.

I woke up, drenched in sweat and tears, with the damn sun shining on my face. Why can't it freaking turn off, dammit! Anyway, I just had a nightmare that Onii-san had left me. It's just a nightmare.

But when I looked around the room, I couldn't find him. 'Maybe he's in the living room.' I thought as I got out of bed. I opened the door and readied myself to go and hug my brother. But he wasn't there. Dread crept up to me as I searched for nii-san, even going outside to see if he'd started training or was doing a ritual. He wasn't there. I couldn't find him. I felt tears pricking up from my eyes as I went back to the bedroom. He was gone. Onii-san really did leave. As I sat down on the bed, I noticed two packages and an envelope lying on the desk beside me. I can't believe I missed that. Blinking back my tears, I opened the envelope first to see my brother's writing on it. Slowly, I began reading the letter.

Dear Mitsuki,

If you're reading this, know that I'm already gone. Please don't cry. It hurts me if you do.

Anyway, if you're wondering where I went, I'm with an S-ranked criminal organisation called the Akatsuki. Don't come looking for me. If you do, you might as well turn yourself into a criminal. Don't. I don't want you being a criminal. It pains me to think if you did.

Mitsuki, know that I want you to go out there and live your life to the fullest. Also know that I will always be with you, every step of the way, no matter what you choose to do.

Make new friends and spend time with them, instead of looking for me. Cherish them, for they may very well be your family.

I love you otouto. Even if you decide to hate me, curse me, I wouldn't care. I'd still love you. And I won't stop thinking how much more you will grow.

Your Brother,
Hidan

I was crying my heart out after reading it. Especially when nii-san wrote about how he thinks I'll hate him. I never will. Wiping my nose, I then turned to the packages my brother left.

I opened the smaller one. Looking at the contents, I began sobbing again. There, carefully placed, were photos of me and my brother. Most of them were during my birthdays. There was one photo I took of nii-san when he was sleeping. I gave a broken laugh when I saw that. I could still remember how he chased me around the house when I showed him that. A smile made its way on my face. I miss Onii-san. Even if it had only been a day since I last saw him.

The second package was larger. I tore it open, revealing a pair of sai, the points unusually sharpened and a scroll. Attached to the scroll was a note saying:

' Open on your twelfth birthday.'

I just gave a tiny smile. He still has a birthday present for me. 

I quickly put my presents inside a storage scroll nii-san had given me on my fifth birthday. Wiping my tears, I quickly wore my cloak and sandals before going outside. The whistling wind rustled my hair as I looked on at the sight in front of me. I could see faint footprints on the ground before the door, a clear indication that some people had stood there. I suddenly remembered the tall man who disrespected Jashin-sama. That thought brought a frown on my face. It was soon turned into a mischievous smirk, however, when I remembered the punishment I gave him. Serves him right.

After a few minutes of just standing there, recounting what happened recently, I finally gave a lengthy sigh. As I looked on at the forest in front of me, I couldn't help but think of nii-san and what he might be doing right now. With a shrug, I reluctantly stepped foot inside the woods surrounding the cottage without a set-destination in mind.