Chapter 7: Butterflies

Mitsuki's POV

"So, you're friends with Naruto?"

I sighed as Gai-sensei asked that question for the umpteenth time.

"Yes, Gai-sensei. He's my friend, at least, I hope we are." I replied, not looking up from my (or more accurately Gai-sensei's) book.

Honestly, what was so surprising about me making friends? Sure, I'm psychotic, even I knew that, but most shinobi are, if you think about it.

Besides, Naruto does seem to think of me as his friend. At least, he seems to. At the very least, I see him as an acquaintance of sorts.

An award silence followed my reply.

From the corner of my eye, I can see Gai-sensei staring at me with an unreadable expression on his face.

Finally, he spoke up again.

"You'll be starting in the Academy tomorrow. So, my YOUTHFUL student, make sure to get enough rest today."

I blinked. Since when was he able to enroll me in the Academy?

Before I had the chance to reply, Gai-sensei had already turned and left my room. Oh well.

As I turned back to A Brief History of Konohagakure Part I, I thought back to yesterday's events.

That shopkeeper didn't like Naruto for some unknown reason. And, judging by how no one tried to help him, neither did the rest of the villagers.

Why though? What can a seven-year-old possibly do to gain so many haters? Is it family-related? That doesn't sound too farfetched, now that I think about it.

Was his parents despised when they were alive (cause there's no way Naruto isn't an orphan)? Did they commit some crime? Was it treason?

Is that why Gai-sensei seemed so surprised? Did he hate Naruto as well? Does everyone in the village hate him?

I groaned as I realized I've read the same sentence ten times already. Finishing the book isn't something I'll be able to do with my current thoughts, so putting the book aside, I stood up.

A walk might be beneficial right now.

================================

Yeah, it wasn't.

"I demand a rematch! Oi! Don't ignore me!"

I sighed as I tried to ignore the sudden headache I was experiencing, while simultaneously glaring up at the muttering crowd, which I didn't notice had gathered during my fight.

Contrary to what people might think and see , I'm not a full-on masochist. I do enjoy pain, just not the ones I couldn't do anything to relieve easily. Like headaches or heartbreaks.

Turning behind me, I saw the kid give me a heated glare as he stood up with the help of one of his friends. Sore loser. 

*Flashback*

The park was full unsurprisingly. Afterall, it was a Saturday.

Kids were shouting and chasing each other around, parents chatting with other parents on the benches, couples smiling at one another, etc. Everyone was having fun.

I glanced around before deciding to walk away. That was, until a shout reached my ears.

Swiveling around, I saw a bunch of kids surrounding something near the corner of the park. Despite not seeing what the commotion was all about, I had my suspicions.