Chapter 11: Lucky Nine

Mitsuki's team was given three days to recuperate and recover from the attack, not that Mitsuki was complaining. It meant he can skip classes without worrying about Iruka-sensei (not that he ever had).

Those three days were coincidentally Gai's vacation period as well. As such, the jounin took the boy with him along in his harsh training regime.

Yeah, he can put up with the training. He could even tune out Gai-sensei's passionate cries of youth most of the time.

What he couldn't excuse Gai-sensei for, however, was this.

"I am not wearing that."

Mitsuki crossed his arms, trying to mimic his brother's I-won't-allow-it stance.

Because there was no way he was going to wear something that obnoxious and hideous. Jashin, who would ever make such a thing?

"Oh, come on, my YOUTHFUL student!  Show off that you are in your Springtime of Youth, Mitsuki!" Gai persisted, holding up a green spandex in Mitsuki's size. The boy blanched. Since when did Gai-sensei have the time to buy one? Better yet, how did he know Mitsuki's exact size?

"No. Not even when hell freezes over."

"The Fountain of Youth ever flows inside you, my young student! Why not flaunt it?"

"Because Jashin-sama does not tolerate such ridiculousness."

In the end, both of them compromised.

Mitsuki, in his most humble opinion, thought that the orange leg warmers clashed horribly with his purple hoodie and navy blue pants.

Meanwhile, Gai made a mental note to ask more about this Jashin-sama. After all, whoever he is made Mitsuki so much more youthful.

================================

"Oi, Bastard!"

Mitsuki greeted, tackling his new rival in a hug from behind.

Sasuke grunted, grounding himself as he worked to remove the pest from his person. He was slightly regretting calling him his rival.

Nearby, Naruto snickered at his predicament. With Sasuke declaring Mitsuki as his new other rival, Naruto followed with declaring his best friend as his also new rival.

Mitsuki was not impressed. However, he did nothing to rebut Naruto. As such, they were now in a complicated frenemy triangle, competing against each other while still spending time with one another.

And while he will never admit it out loud, Sasuke was starting to like their company. Theirs and the rest of their friends. Although, he can put up without the fangirling with Ino. His only small consolation was that Sakura didn't seem that interested in him anymore.

"Get off, idiot!" Sasuke, having given up with tearing Mitsuki from his back, resorted to verbal abuse.

Of course, he should have known that Mitsuki, being Mitsuki, didn't care about the tongue lashing he was having.

Now that he thought about it, Mitsuki didn't care for a lot of things. He was just that.........he didn't really know what to call it.

The young jashinist merely rolled his eyes and tightened his grip on Sasuke's shoulders. Like hell he was going to lose his free, albeit unwilling, ride.

A dejected Sasuke finally made his way over to their friends (and since when did he refer to them as his friends as well?), and slumped over beside Kiba. He shared a resigned glance with Shino.

Shino had become a member of their circle of friends when Hinata saved a spider and asked him about it. The rest was history. Or, to be more precise, Shino getting dragged in whatever crazy scheme their crazy friends had thought of.