Chapter 10: Early Blossom

"How'd ya get sick, dattebayo?"

Mitsuki's answer was muffled by the pillow, laying face-down as he was. He did not want to see Naruto's annoying I-told-you-so look.

The jashinist (or was it former? Mitsuki still did itch to pray to Jashin-sama, despite not doing it for a while now) could feel Naruto's smirk as the blonde sat down next to him.

To be fair, teaching Naruto how to swim while it was raining against the blonde's protests wasn't really the best idea. It didn't help that Naruto, the bastard, never even seemed to get sick.

That was another thing to add on Mitsuki's growing list of peculiarities regarding his best friend. Massive chakra reserves, sucky chakra control,  unusually high endurance, enhanced healing, and now the inability to get sick. Brat.

A sneeze stopped his thought process. He groaned miserably. The ten-year-old hated getting sick. While he very rarely did, once he got sick, it was to the extreme: a damn cough could easily make him bedridden, and a fever would send him straight to the hospital.

Feeling Naruto shift impatiently next to him, he risked a peek.

Naruto brightened and grimaced at the same time when he saw red-rimmed eyes finally turn to him. It didn't really suit Mitsuki to look so miserable. Most of the time he actually looked invincible.

"Aren't you supposed to be in the Academy?" Mitsuki's voice croaked. Both boys flinched at how hoarse his voice sounded.

"I can't just leave ya, dattebayo! Besides, I'm no longer failing class," thanks to you went unsaid.

Puffy red eyes glared back at him.

"Naruto, you idiot." In actuality, Mitsuki was actually touched that Naruto cared for him this much. It was heartwarming, to say the least. However, that didn't stop the fact that Naruto was skipping classes. Without him.

Naruto shrugged at the insult. He had already been desensitized by his friend's scathing remarks a long time ago. But it would seem as if a sick Mitsuki can't insult as colorfully as a healthy Mitsuki.

"It's nearly the end of classes anyway, dattebayo." He announced, watching how Mitsuki's eyes widened then narrowed in distrust.

"I couldn't have been sleeping that long."

"Actually, you were."

Huffing in disbelief, Mitsuki rolled over to his other side and scrutinized the alarm clock on his bedside table. Naruto was actually right. Sticking his tongue out at the traitorous time piece, he groaned.

"Told ya!" Naruto said smugly.

Instead of answering, Mitsuki abruptly sat up and turned to the bedroom door, eyes narrowed.

Already knowing how good of a sensor Mitsuki was, Naruto merely waited for him to announce who or what he sensed. Although, it was strange that he wasn't using his Shinegan.

A few moments later, Mitsuki still didn't say anything, which worried Naruto. However, before he could ask what was wrong, Mitsuki sighed heavily before looking back at him.

"My Shinegan doesn't work when I'm sick." Mitsuki stated. It was a fact that still irked him. It didn't make sense. What does his health have to do with his dōjutsu? "Thankfully, that doesn't affect me being a natural sensor."

Before Naruto could inquire about why Mitsuki never shared this bit of information before, Mitsuki quickly continued.

"Anyway, the others are here. I assume you all planned to visit me?"