Chapter 7; Fear, Phone calls and Crushes

Previously on "Enlightenment"

Mick turned his attention back to Natalya, his arms securely folded against his chest. Natalya stood, bag crossed over her shoulders, the stack of papers held tightly. Speed stepping over to the table, she set down the now crumbled papers. Her eyesight going towards Mick. Now found, he turns around and leaves to the play room. Being at the top of the stairs helped Mick see what she was doing more clearly. This lead to one result...

Natalya's face going beat red and the thought of him watching her the entire time.

_____________

HER MIND WENT A MILLION MILES PER HOUR. The thought of Mike watching her pick up her things still makes her face turn red three days later. Suddenly, she can't keep him out of her head. His smirk, scowl, and well, the sickly sweetness towards the children. She cannot get him out of her head, and it's starting to scare Natalya to death.

Just the thought of her thinking of him frightened her. At night, when she laid in bed, the only person she thought of, was Mike. She doesn't know, anything about the man, yet she still is afraid. Afraid to think of him, to smile at him or even wave. Everytime she does, she freezes, and just puts an act on. This has been happening ever since she saw that smirk on his face.

The day she got a full time job at the orphanage, is the same day, she stared fearing her colleague. Her friend, a man she deemed trustworthy the first day they met. Even with her heart saying he's good, her gut is telling her otherwise. That he shouldn't be trusted, and that he should be thrown in jail. Many of these times Natalya almost called the police on him, for nothing. She has no proof... Nothing in which he has done any wrong. In fact, he's almost like a blank slate, there is absolutely nothing on him!

Anything that was about Mike Fullman has now vanished into thin air. Birth certificate, past jobs, drivers license, even the grocery store he goes to! Everything is gone, not even the Dark Web can find it. Whoever this Mike Fullman is... He's bad news, just like what Jenny Cold said two months prior.

Her warning just now fully processing through Natalyas head. All the pieces to the puzzle is slowly starting to fill into a bigger picture. The picture of Mike Fullman, friend, coworker, a man who is amazing with kids. Could this all just be one big act? Could there really be a bigger picture? Right now, that picture is unclear and fuzzy. In time it will become clear, at the moment, Natalya is only confused and easy to persuade.

This is how he will take control of Natalya, make her do things she does not wish to do. Natalya does not know this yet, but Mick does. Instead of doing it his own way, he will come up with a way unsuspicious that Mike can do. This is the joy of pretending to be someone you are not. A joy that Mick relies on deeply when he does these type of things. The thrill, oh the thrill of manipulating innocent civilians. Civilians like Natalya Roman.

Her thoughts were interrupted by her phone ringing on her bedside table. Shaking her head and slapping her cheeks to wake up some more she picks up her phone. She doesn't know who would be calling at such an early hour. Hopefully not Jenny, she never calls early because she always sleeps in late. If it is Jenny, well, that just makes Natalya worry more about her over-working best friend.

"Hello?" Natalya groggy morning voice left her mouth. Making herself actually hear how tired she sounds. Not realizing it before she spoke.

"Oh! Did I wake you? I'm so sorry about that," the voice was someone that she didn't know. Definitely male though, no matter how awkward and sweet he sounds.