00. prologue

CHAPTER ZERO !

WESLEY CORDEN runs a hand through his brown hair, seemingly exhausted.

The local church in his area had asked for a few helpers when it came to stacking up new books and with his mum being a great helper of the church, Wesley is stuck stacking books on a weekend.

He takes a book from one of the many cardboard boxes that litter the ground and places it on the bookshelf according to the instructions he was given.

It has been a while since he has drank water, or even seen water for that matter. He considers calling his mum and asking her for some water, or for anything that he could use to quench his thirst.

He wouldn't even mind a small snack, anything to keep his energy going.

"Stupid books." He mutters before grabbing another one and stacking it. The next book he takes piques his interest, because the cover is slightly rough, a difference from all the other books that had been donated.

He flips the book, eyeing the rough burgundy cover. There was no title in front of the book, no indication as to where he should place the book on.

Wesley opens it, nose slightly wrinkling at the slight smell of lavender that emitted from it. The first page is empty.

He wonders if this was just an empty book, given by mistake by one of the donators in a hurry to place all these books inside the boxes.

Curiously he flips to the next page, finding that the second page wasn't empty, but rather a message was written on it.

He first examines the neat, faceless handwriting before making out the message that was written on it.

Belongs to Lana Gardiner.
West High School.
Read if you want.

"That's my school," he whispers as he rapidly flips all the pages of the book, or which seems more like a diary to Wesley.

Lana.

The name sounds familiar but Wesley is unable to place who it is.

Lana Gardiner.

He takes out his phone and sends a text to his best buddy Maurice, asking him if he knew a certain girl called Lana Gardiner.

It wouldn't be surprising if he didn't know her. Just because she goes to the same school definitely didn't mean that she was in the same grade as him.

She could be a sophomore for all Wesley cares.

Maurice replies after a few minutes, saying that he does, and apparently Lana Gardiner has three classes with Maurice.

Wesley bites his lip, a bit curious wanting to know who she is. He asks Maurice to describe her.

After Maurice does, it clicks into place and Wesley remembers why it was a bit familiar.

Lana Gardiner was the girl he once asked to borrow her notes from last year. Tenth grade. Although he's never known her that well or that personally.

Maybe if I could just read what's inside it.

Wesley shakes his head, hoping to derail his mind. Reading a girl's diary was bad and definitely disrespectful.

But the book literally says to read if you want.

Finding some solace in that answer, his curiosity gets the best of him and Wesley flips to the first entry, a sense of guilt nowhere near his stomach.