03. chapter

[ HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU TYPED "I'M OKAY" WHILE CRYING?
— unknown. ]

THE ROOM is messy.

From the looks of it, she definitely hasn't moved from her room. Clothes were strewn everywhere. Wrappers and cardboard from biscuits, snacks and milk cartons were all over the place. The bed was unmade and a few pillows were on ground.

And Lana Gardiner stood in the center of the mess.

Not literally though. Her back is against the wall on the right, knees to her chest. The force of the fan flutters the wavy locks of her bobbed hair as she stares straight through Wesley with lifeless eyes.

He gulps, and takes a step forward after closing the door. She returns to staring back a the ground.

"Lana." He says after a moment of silence. She doesn't make an effort to talk or to even acknowledge him.

He doesn't know what to do. How does he being to explain this?

Hi I know you because I invaded your privacy and read your diary and now I know your deepest fears. I really want to help you, do you want to become my buddy? He thinks up an explanation sarcastically.

"You. . .h-have it don't you?" She says after a moment of silence. Her voice is raspy, and she stutters through the first few letters. She hasn't spoken in a while.

He nods. Wesley unzips his bag and takes the diary out, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to read it I—"

Lana shakes her head. She doesn't look at Wesley in the eye. "I'm not — not mad. It's understandable. It's my fault for misplacing it."

He holds it out to her but she doesn't move from her original position. To Wesley's irritation, she doesn't even look at him.

The boy squats down so he can be eye level with Lana. "Can you look at me?" He asks softly. Wesley wants to pat her shoulder or offer her reassuring squeeze. He's normally a very touchy-feely person but he refrains today. It isn't hard to miss the way her body stiffens when he talks to her.

She doesn't.

There's a sigh waiting on the back of his throat to come out but he doesn't want to it too. Wesley's eye-level with her and now he can notice things he wasn't able to notice so far away. He sees the panda eyes, dark and rimmed at the edge from sleepless nights. The worry lines, the line of acne and the nose she so hates. He also sees the unruly split ends, the frizzy hair.

It's daunting for him to open his mouth and tell her she has nothing to worry about. Terrifying even. He doesn't want to make the wrong move, and also he wants to understand her.

Wesley remembers the conversation he's already had with his mother. He doesn't want to disappoint her.

So he doesn't say anything and squats there in silence.

[A/N : I'm very sorry if things are moving too slow? I want this to be as realistic as possible. I know I say this time and time but I'm a very
character based person, not a plot based person. Also I've reached 1.4k followers, so thank you v much x for that ]