12

Flashback
Rhea fixed her lipstick in the bathroom before leaving, heading back to the table. She had met Ryder's parents tonight and after they left, Ryder and Rhea stayed for dessert.

Her long red dress swayed with every step as her black hair was pinned up and back.

Ryder helped Rhea sit back down, placing a quick kiss on her lips. "I told you the red dress. You look ravishing."

Rhea felt herself blush. "You only wanted the red dress to distract you." She pointed out.

"True. I told you it wouldn't be so bad."

Rhea gave him a nervous smile.

"I told you they will love you and they do."

"I know, Ryder." Rhea told him. "It's not that, it's, I'm not comfortable around other parents that are well, your parents, for example. I'm making no sense." Rhea placed her head into a hand.

"Yes you are." Rhea looked back at Ryder.

"Because of my own mother, that has a lot to do with it." I gave him a tiny smile.

"It's okay. All it will take is time." Rhea listened to Ryder as he took her hands. "It's not like I'm asking you to move in with them."

That comment got a small laugh out of Rhea. "Okay. Time." She whispered as she lifted her glass of water.

"Now let's go back to my place." Ryder invited as he stood up. "As much as I love that colour on you, it will look a lot better on my floor."

Rhea blushed as she smiled at him, accepting Ryder's hand.

Now
"What are you doing here, Ryder?" I asked him in a harsh voice.

"I'm attending the function I was willing to blow off to take you and Rowan to dinner, but you said you had plans." Ryder answered with his arms folded.

"The function next door?"

Ryder nodded as he looked me up and down. "I'm assuming you aren't here with Rowan?"

I felt my heart speed up as I shook my head. "I'm here on business."

I saw the smirk on Ryder's face. "It doesn't look like business to me." I rolled my eyes as I tried to walk around him. Ryder took my arm as I stilled. "Don't roll your eyes at me." I quickly took my arm out of his grip before I could feel the unwanted emotions.

"Don't tell me what to do." I hissed at him.

"Where is Rowan?"

"At a friend's house." I said, backing away.

"So you let him stay there, but you won't let me see him unsupervised."

"Rowan has known them since he was born. He doesn't know you." I seethed out.

"And whose fault is that?" The tone in Ryder's voice was pulsating out the rage.

"Yours!" I snapped before turning completely, going back to the room Luke was in.

I saw the hurt in Ryder's eyes at the truth, but I didn't care, I kept walking until I was next to Luke.

Luke must have felt the tension because he pulled me aside, asking if everything is alright.

"Yeah." I gave him a large smile. "Another dance?" I tugged at his arm as we stepped on the wooden dance floor, my heels clicking.

I had the unsettling feeling of being watched again as Luke spun me around and my hand landed back on to his shoulder before the tempo slowed. Music started for an intimate dance and I wasn't feeling too comfortable for it, but I could feel a wave of determination sweep over me.