18

"Are you sure? Luke said you might take it." Jan spoke to me.

I nodded as I sat in her office. It's been a week since I spoke to Luke about this holiday he was offering. "I'm sure. It's starting to affect me, Jan." I told her. "I can't concentrate, I'm losing focus, I'm behind in my studies. I'm hardly sleeping. I just need some time to catch up on my studies."

"So, a sabbatical?"

My eyes widened. "Yes!"

Jan sighed out. "I know you need it." She said, holding up the magazine open to my column. "But what about your column?"

"My readers? I know. I thought long and hard about it, how about a temp to take my place for the next few weeks."

"Aren't you afraid to lose your readers to them?" Jan asked me as she sat back in her chair.

"At first, yes." I answered. "But what about a ghost writer?"

Jan was intrigued by the idea. "A ghost writer? I like the idea. I know a few other writers. I'll have a dig around and get back to you."

"Thank you." I got up and left Jan's office, heading to mine.

"Mrs Anderson?" I heard a voice behind me and I shivered, turning to my door.

"No!" I told the stranger.

"So you're not Rhea Anderson?" He asked.

"I'm the person you're looking for, but I'm not Rhea Anderson." I flatly said.

"Can I get you to sign here." He asked and handed me the small machine. I signed away and he handed me a small parcel.

Frowning, I took it and sat down, unwrapping it.

I gasped as I opened it. "Oh my." I whispered as I pulled out the gold chain. It was beautiful. The delivery man said Mrs Anderson, so it would have to be from Ryder. At the end of the chain was a large clasp and a flat pendant in the shape of a heart.

It looked like the one I used to own, the one I broke off my neck so long ago. The only difference was the pendant was blank. On both sides. I placed the chain back in to its box and pushed it aside.

I groaned as I sat back. It's starting, all over again. Last time Ryder bought me gifts, it was when we first started seeing each other. I was more than thrilled. Now, not so much.

****

I walked in the front door, my bag in hand holding Rowan on my hip, the box in my other hand and the huge bouquet of red roses in the crook of my arm.

The aroma overfilled my senses. They were delivered just before I left, from Luke. He even left a note. Tonight. 8pm. Your house.

My heart fluttered every time I thought of it. I didn't bother asking Ryder or Sasha to take Rowan since he will be fast asleep by that time.

I quickly started making Rowan's dinner and cleaned my house, feeding Rowan and bathed him. Before I knew it, Rowan was asleep and I was freshly showered and in jeans and singlet with a floral kimono on.

I didn't have to worry about Ryder, he had rang earlier and spoke to Rowan, but not before telling me he was going to Christchurch for a few days first. So I had no immediate threats for any interruptions.

Once Luke arrived and I let him in, I poured him a wine as he insisted on cooking dinner. I sat on the bar stool, enthralled in his story as he enthusiastically told me it and cooked dinner at the same time.

"Really?" I laughed as I scrapped the last of my dessert up. I had insisted on frozen cheesecake since Luke made dinner and since it was sprung on me, it was all I had.