19

The magazine has come out with my column that Ash is doing. I've brought the magazine, but I haven't read it yet.

What if I don't like it? I thought to myself. What if my readers know it isn't me? What if Ash is way off? Or worse, what if I do like it?

I had to focus. Rowan is at school. At day care where he needs to be. I need to be studying. I took my glasses off and rubbed my eyes. I can't. I've been doing alright till now, knowing that this magazine is distracting me. I got up and placed it in the lounge room before going back to my computer, rereading the text.

My mobile buzzed and I looked at it. Ryder. I groaned as I opened the message.

Is it alright if I get Rowan from school?

No. Only I'm allowed to.

I left it at that and I didn't hear anything else from him. It was only twenty minutes later that my phone went off again.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Why can't I?" Came Ryder's voice.

I groaned loudly. "Because you aren't on the paperwork for his day care. Only I am."

"Fine. I want that changed though."

"Does it matter?" I sighed.

"Yes! He is my son and I wish to be on the paperwork too. Since I can't pick him up, I'll be over later."

I froze. "What? I thought you were in Melbourne?"

"Melbourne?" Ryder echoed.

My eyes went wide. Oops. That's Luke in Melbourne.

"I was in Perth. But I'm back now, heading home. I'll be over later to pick you and Rowan up."

"What for?" I frowned.

"For dinner." Came his tone. "Or are you going to deny Rowan his father? I haven't seen him all week."

"Don't play the guilt card on me." I snapped out.

"Great. I'll see you in about four hours." I heard the line go dead and I had half a mind to ring back to abuse him, but it was Ryder, there is no getting through to that stubborn man. Once he has his mind made up, there is no changing it.

Maybe that's why he is still so persistent on me, even though I've told him countless times to stop.

I rolled my eyes and finished off the segment I was on before closing my laptop.

****

"Look Momma, plane." Rowan smiled as he showed me his new toy.

"Wow." I smiled at him.

Ryder was beaming ear to ear that he won the argument. I didn't want to go out. I was willing to let Ryder take Rowan out and I stayed home, but Ryder wouldn't have a bar of it.

"More drink, please, dad." Rowan looked at Ryder. Ryder picked up the pitcher of water when I said no.

"He can eat his dinner first. Rowan hasn't touched his food." I warned him.

"You ordered him salad with his nuggets." Ryder argued. "He ate one nugget."

"I would also like him to eat his salad. He had a lazy dinner last night and I would like for him to eat something more than processed chicken." I pointed out.

Ryder grinned at me. "It's a fancy restaurant. Do you seriously think the chicken would be processed?"

"I don't care if it is or not." I held my head up. "He can still eat some salad." I turned to Rowan. "Eat this much." I told him, dragging some salad and making two piles. "Then you can have ice cream."