07

Chapter seven
Please Please Me
January 1963
Lucy's POV:
It's been about two to three weeks since I saw Ringo. It was mid January and The Beatles had released a new song, which is probably I hadn't seen him. Tobey had me working later hours and I was barely sleeping at night. I sighed as I finished up a song and went to take a break. Patricia walked into the dressing room and said "you look like shit." "Gee, thanks." She frowned and said "Tobey has you working later shifts?" I nodded and said "yeah. I get more pay but I'm tired. I just want to go home. I'd like a couple of days off but I can't do that to Tobey." "He'd understand. And have you heard Please Please Me?" She changed the subject. I sighed and said "yeah I did." "What do you think?" "I like it. I haven't seen Ringo since that morning. I haven't seen any of them." "I saw George a week ago. He told me they were really busy." I shrugged and Tobey said "you're back on in five." I nodded and he closed the door, walking back to the bar. "Just tell Tobey you have to leave after this song." I shook my head and said "I'll be fine." I went back on stage and continued to sing, everyone wanted to hear Please Please Me. I hadn't learned the words yet. After what seemed like hours the night ended and Tobey closed up. I bundled up in my warm clothing and walked back to my flat. I unlocked the door and headed inside. I noticed my mail had come in and checked it all. I had a letter, from Ringo. I opened it up and saw that he had wrote on the back of what seemed to be sheet music. I giggled to myself and flipped it over to reveal his handwriting.

Lucy, sorry I haven't seen you in a while. We were busy recording Please Please Me. We'll be recording an album soon. I've been trying to make my way over to you or try to bring you with us but John has been very adamant about us going anywhere or doing anything. We all said that we'd finish the song and album after New Years. So that's what we're doing. I can't wait for you to hear it. Also, I'm sorry I left that morning. Tobey pulled up and kinda made me mad so I just left. I don't want anything to be weird between us, I wasn't avoiding you. I promise. We've been really busy. So I hope that everything is good and nothing is awkward. Hopefully we can catch up this weekend. I'll try to set something up with John and the guys. See you soon, Richard.

My heart fluttered at the fact that he signed as Richard, not Ringo. "Awe, Richard." I said softly. I took the letter with me in my bedroom, sitting down on the bed. I took off my shoes and laid down on the bed, tired from today.

-

I woke up to my phone ringing. I grabbed it and said "hello?" "Lucy! What're you doing today?!" John yelled into the phone. I moved it away from my ear and sighed. "Nothing." "Good! You need to meet us at this club downtown!" "Another club?" I asked. "Yes! Lucyyyyyy! It's going to be fun!!!" John screamed. "Yeah! It's gonna be fun! Don't skip out on us now!" Paul said. I held the phone farther away from my ear and said "I'll go if you stop screaming." "Yay!" The both of them said. "Oh we're hanging up now." Paul whispered. "Yeah! Hanging up!" John yelled. Then he purposely slammed the phone down on the receiver and I rolled my eyes, falling back onto my bed.

-

I woke up to the phone ringing again and it was George this time. "You coming or not?" He said. "Yes. Just give me time to get ready." I said. "The club is right in the centre of downtown. It's got a big sign of a palm tree out front. We'll be waiting." He hung up the phone and I brushed my hair out of my face. My hair was messy from sleeping on it so I put it in a hair clip and applied my makeup. I changed into a skirt and blouse, putting on my heels. I got a cab and headed downtown, I never went downtown, u never had a reason to. As I arrived I looked for the club, stepping inside I saw there were many people. "You actually came!" George said. I jumped out of fear and said "yes. I did." He smirked a little and said "we're performing tonight. Up there." He pointed to a stage and I said "wow." George nodded and said "I'll bring you over to our table." He led me to a table that was away from the dance floor and secluded from everyone else. John was currently laughing at something Paul had said and Ringo was giggling. "Lucy's here." Paul smiled up at me and John said "hey." Ringo scooted in towards the wall and I sat down next to him while George sat on the outside of the booth. "Hi, Ringo." I said. "Hi, Lucy." John sniggered and George did the same. "What's so funny?" I asked. "Nothing." John replied. "We're just waiting on Patricia now." Paul said. George nodded and the three of them began to talk. Ringo said "it's nice to see you." "It's nice to see you too." He smiled and I did the same. Patricia showed up about ten minutes later. John motioned to the stage and Paul stood up, walking over towards it. George said "make sure you ladies are in the front." I scooted out of the booth and Ringo said "you're finally going to get to see me play." "I can't wait." He smiled and walked up to the stage with the rest of the guys. Patricia and I stood in the front and a few girls screamed when John stepped to the microphone. Paul tuned his guitar while George did the same. John looked at all the people in the room and said "we're going to perform a couple of songs for you all." Ringo sat down at his drum set and a few girls moved up to the front. They began playing Love Me Do. John winked at me as he sang the lyrics. I blushed and watched George and Paul harmonize at one microphone. Patricia and I stared up at the four of them, as they belted out the lyrics to their own song. I watched Ringo drum the beat and he looked so happy.