Just the Hormones

Summary: Dan and Phil have known each other for a little over a year, so really, it's no surprise that a strong friendship has formed over time. The only problem is, they both want more, but they're afraid.

Word Count: 2543

"What's up, twat?"

"I love you, too, Dan."

Dan smiled, falling onto Phil's mattress in his overwhelmingly bright room, which Dan would have left within a minute of entering if it weren't for the boy sat next to him. They'd known each other for about a year at this point, only talking over Skype, and though it was still a bit strange to be in each other's presence in real life, Dan felt a strong sense of affection towards the other boy. Perhaps this was brought about by their abundance of late night calls, some topics more serious than others.

*

"Have you ever been in a commited relationship?" Phil thought for a moment, the question quite random, given that they were talking about Voldemort only a few minutes prior. Don't ask.

"Once. She was nice enough, but it only lasted a few months. We drifted apart, and inevitably we ended it. It only took her a week to find someone new."

"Ouch"

"Yeah, I haven't been with anyone  since then."

The once light-hearted conversation had suddenly become very melancholy, but this was the first time Phil had ever talked about his love life.

"Do you want to get back to dating?" Dan seemed genuinely curious, which may have been a tad bit insensitive given they had just addressed Phil's previous heartbreak.

"I've never really thought about it. I guess it happens when it happens." Phil stared down at his crossed legs, his voice very quiet. Dan almost regretted asking. Almost.

"Hey, I've got a new video idea, wanna hear it?"

And that's when Dan explained how he wanted to tie Phil up and run a knife down his face. All in the name of entertainment, of course.

*

They had just finished filming said video, and were both ready to fall asleep for the night. Dan's sleeping bag was rolled out on the floor at the foot of the bed, but really, he didn't want to move from this suddenly very cozy spot, with his best friend laying right next to him.

"Do you always call your friends twats to show your affection?" Dan laughed, rolling onto his side to face Phil, who had done the same.

"No, you're just special."

"Are you flirting with me?" They had never brought this up in conversation before, so it was no surprise that Dan was struggling to find a suitable response, opening his mouth only for the words to get stuck in his throat.

"I'm only teasing," Phil smiled, "want to go to sleep yet?" Dan nodded, falling back onto his back; that was basically Phil saying he was tired, but he'd be willing to stay up for longer if Dan wanted to. The brunette grinned to himself, content that he'd finally found someone like Phil.

Phil had pulled the duvet over their bodies now, a small distance between them, but Dan couldn't help but wonder how the other would react if he came closer.

"Hey, you don't have to stay all the way over there, you might fall off." Phil's voice whispered out into the now completely dark room. Dan shuffled himself closer, but not too much so.

Phil reached out suddenly, taking Dan's hand in his before tensing.

"Sorry, I should've asked, I was just getting cold."