Opposites Attract

Summary: Though he could never admit it, Dan has always slightly admired Phil... And maybe been slightly intimidated by him, too. But that changes when Phil comes over, originally for the purpose of completing an art assignment.

Words: 2964

Phil was the bad boy, or that was the image he tried too hard to maintain at high school, in Dan's opinion, but his opinion didn't matter. He was just Dan. He was just the guy no one cared too much about, the one who wandered the barren corridors alone, avoiding the judgemental glares of passers-by simply by not looking away from the ground. It was an ineffective tactic; there had been more than one occasion in which he had walked into something or someone while being unaware of his surroundings, but he had no intention of changing his ways any time soon.

Phil, on the other hand, was everything Dan wanted to be, maybe infuriatingly so. He was confident, outgoing, uncaring of what people thought, and despite his somewhat negative reputation, he had a firm group of friends who liked him for who he was.

Every day, Dan would sit next to Phil in art, but he'd be unable to stop stealing quick glances towards the other boy, entranced by his snakebites, contrasting beautifully against his pale white skin, the dark blue tips of his quiff, complementing the black perfectly, he couldn't even stop admiring the gorgeous leather jacket, hanging from his body in such a way that would show off his lean, slightly muscular figure.

Dan thought he had got away with this until one class, when he saw Phil slouching over his sketchbook, leaning away from it to reveal four simple words:

Stop staring at me

Dan had blushed furiously, mussing his curls as a way of distraction, though he could hear the smirk in Phil's quiet laugh.

*

"Today, class," the art teacher stood at the front of the classroom, swinging her far too long scarf over her shoulder dramatically, "we are studying portraits. Turn to your partner and draw them. No innapropriate additions please, Chris. You may begin." Everyone else was sat next to a friend, so it was easy for them, but Dan and Phil... Weren't really friends at all. They'd shared a few words of greeting in the hallways, but that was it. Dan sticked to himself, while Phil stayed with his own group of people.

"Um, shall we start?" Dan was apprehensive about this whole ordeal, though he couldn't quite understand why. Maybe it was because he had to stare at Phil for a prolonged period of time while he was aware, just to complete the task.

"I guess." Phil's voice was monotonous as he reached for his own pencil and paper, sketching a quick outline of what was probably supposed to be Dan's head.

"Um, can I look at you for a moment?"

"Why? Haven't you been staring at me enough for the past few lessons? You should know me off by heart now, surely?" Phil grinned smugly as Dan blushed again, yet he made no move to deny it, for what was the point if Phil already knew?

So Dan started his drawing, deciding maybe he'd sketch Phil as he was, bent over the desk, working on his own piece, and it wasn't long until he'd got the hang of it, insisting on sketching in every separate strand of hair and every wrinkle in his clothes. He'd been drawing for the whole lesson, but hadn't finished it as much as he would've liked, the shading ending up very much patchy, the likeness not quite clear enough.

"Your homework," the teacher said, met with a quiet chorus if grumbles and complaints, "is to finish your portrait. This may mean meeting your partner out of lessons to draw them, as your piece must be drawn from a primary source. What is a primary source, PJ?"