Work of Art {Part One}

Summary: Dan is a lingerie model out of a job with rent just around the corner. He thinks all hope is lost until he finds out his favourite artist is in need of a muse.

No smut this chapter. This is an introduction to the characters and circumstances.

"Wait what?" The phone held against Dan's ear was growing hot with every passing second.

"You have until next week to pay rent or you're out." His landlord sounded pissed, to say the least. Sure, Dan may have been a month late paying, but that couldn't be helped. It wasn't his fault no one had wanted to hire a lingerie model recently.

"Wait-" but before he could give his poorly thought out excuse, the line went dead.

"Fuck!" He threw his phone across the room, only just landing on the sofa. He'd been struggling financially for ages now; he had tried to get a job, but he'd always been rejected due to lack of experience. It was really a shame his only real talent was modelling, because it was really difficult to get noticed in the industry. You'd think, as a male modelling traditionally female attire, he'd stand out, but no.

His apartment itself wasn't anything special, not worth all this stress at all. The floorboards creaked every time he moved, the paint on the walls was peeling and scratched up, but he couldn't afford to go over it, even the furniture was rubbish; second hand items he'd found at charity shops.

It wasn't like his parents were willing to help him out, either. They practically disowned him after finding out about his profession, because it was unorthodox for a man to wear anything out of the ordinary.

He couldn't do much more than wallow in his self-pity, but even that was a waste of time. So like he did every time he had nothing better to do, he scrolled through various social media apps before finally settling on Instagram. He wasn't quite sure why he did this to himself; he followed all his old classmates, having never got round to unfollowing. It hurt to see those twats do so well for themselves. Sure, he should probably be happy for them, but that's a bit difficult when you've got barely a hundred quid to your name.

He also followed artists. Talented people, some in similar positions to him, trying desperately to win over potential customers, others only doing it for fun. He envied the latter. There was one particular artist he followed who went by the username AmazingPaint, a daft name, but his work was anything but. He worked in acrylics, oils, pastels- anything you could think of. He was talented in every sense of the word, using his art to express emotions that Dan didn't know existed. Sometimes he depicted people, sometimes landscapes, interiors, objects, but he was the best at portraits. Give him a person, and he'd be able to recreate it in no time. He'd notice every curve in the face, every slight change in skin tone, every hair and make it his own. To say Dan admired him was an understatement.

This particular post was not another work of art, unfortunately, instead a body of text. Dan's eyes snapped straight to the header, his heart beating heavily:

Model Needed!

The artist, Phil, was looking to try something new. He wanted someone different, someone to help him test his skills. Dan smiled to himself; had Phil ever drawn a man in women's lingerie?

There was no point overthinking this; he needed work, like ASAP, so this was really the perfect opportunity! He opened up a DM, fingers hovering over the keyboard. This was the man he'd pretty much idolised for so long; how on earth was he meant to start this conversation.

But again, there was no point dragging this out any longer than necessary, so he typed out a simple, straight to the point message:

Hi, my name's Dan. are you still looking for a model?

He hit the send button before he could change his mind, but not two minutes later, he received a response:

Yes! Are you interested?

His heart started beating incredibly quickly once more, typing out a response:

Yes I'm interested. I model lingerie and was wondering if that would be something you're up for?

It took less than ten seconds for Phil to reply.

That sounds perfect! Is it okay if we meet somewhere first, just to make sure everything's legit?

Yeah, sure! I live in the London area, too, maybe we could meet in Hyde park or something?

Sounds good. What about tomorrow at twelve?

Sure! See you then.

It was looking good; in most situations like this, he'd think it was going too well, but this wasn't the time for second guesses. He needed this job.

He saw no point in staying up any longer; it had only just gone eight, but there was nothing else left for him to do.

Tomorrow, he'd either have a job, or be even worse off than before.

*

Phil woke up, his eyes instantly met with bright colours decorating every surface in his room. At least five of his paintings hung on every one of his four walls, but with every one, he could see flaws where others couldn't. Whether it was the shape of an eye, or the placement of hair, something always went wrong. Maybe this was why he'd decided to try this model thing. Maybe he thought, with something new, his skills could finally be refined enough to produce something he was happy with.

Sometimes he felt he did not deserve the praise he got. Sure he was good at what he did, but he was nowhere near perfect, like all those comments said. They only saw what they wanted to.

There was still another three hours until he had to meet the Dan he had talked to the evening before. He sounded like an interesting man, and truth be told, he was quite excited to meet him. When Dan said he modelled lingerie, that was when Phil's interest peaked; sure it was unconventional or whatever, but who said men can't wear things like that?

They were to meet at Hyde park, which was a very vague meeting place, but they had also exchanged numbers to make it easier to contact each other. Dan sounded nice over text, but understandably so, he was still apprehensive about the whole ordeal, that's why he had chosen such a busy area of London.

He stretched and headed to the shower, his bathroom plain compared to the rest of his house apart from the large house plant in the corner.

It took him longer than usual to pick out an outfit for the day; he would normally wear a simple graphic T-Shirt and sweatpants but he wanted to look a bit more put together today. He eventually settled on a bright jumper with his favourite black jeans. He doubted Dan would care, but this was a professional meeting.

He could feel the eyes of his many portraits boring into him from every angle as he got ready to leave the house. Maybe his next portrait would possess softer eyes.