Night Light

Summary: Why are you knocking at my door at two in the morning? And why are you crying?

Word Count: 1990

Living alone can have it's perks, like being able to sing as loudly as you want, even if you're not that good at it, or not having to share your food with anyone, despite not being able to afford much in the first place. Living alone could also have it's downfalls, like how deafeningly quiet it got at night, being constantly aware that there was no one else in the building. It was quite a daunting feeling, a feeling that Phil wanted to escape, but he just couldn't be bothered to go out and find a roommate.

His room seemed so different at night; the formerly bright colours were now dull and desaturated, the plants cast ominous shadows on the walls, the streets outside his window providing a subtle, but ever present background noise.

The clock on his bedside table said it had just gone two; he had stayed up rather late watching a new TV show he'd found. It was enough to distract him in the moment, but not enough to take away the things that kept him up.

Phil felt his eyelids droop ever so slightly before he heard a loud knock at the door. He sat straight up, heart beating heavily. Who on earth would be here this early in the morning? Was he about to be robbed? No, he was being ridiculous; a robber wouldn't knock, they'd break in. That didn't make him feel any better, though, as he walked steadily towards the noise. Before opening the door, he picked up an umbrella; it wouldn't do much in a worst case scenario, but it was better than nothing. For a fleeting moment, he thought about how unnecessary his anxiety was, but thoughts to that extreme aren't that easy to tame.

He opened the door inch by inch, seeing the shadow on a man on the floor. The silhouette was shaking. He looked up, eyes wide with recognition; he wasn't getting murdered tonight.

"Dan! What are you doing here?" Dan's eyes were red, dried tears trailing his cheeks. He looked every bit as terrified as Phil had felt moments before.

"Can I come in?" His voice was shaky, like the legs that were threatening to give way any second.

"Yes of course!" Phil gestured for Dan to come in; if he weren't in this state of shock, it would have been the first thing he did for his best friend.

They had known each other ever since university and could never find it in themselves to let the other go. They had lived together briefly after uni but a few months ago, Dan moved in with his boyfriend. Phil had never really got used to it. Maybe he hated said boyfriend for taking his best friend away from him but never had the guts to say anything.

He led Dan to the living room, flipping the light switch on. He supposed Dan still thought of this place as home, for it took him no time to settle on the sofa, where he used to spend hours on his computer. The cushions still hadn't recovered from the way Dan used to slouch there. Phil told himself he was too lazy to fix the cushions.

Dan shrunk into his sweater, pulling the sleeves over his knuckles as Phil sat down next to him. A part of him wanted to hold the boy close in his arms.

"Want to tell me why you're here?" Phil asked. Dan wiped another tear from his eye, refusing to look over to Phil.

"Mike broke up with me," he was nibbling at his bottom lip now, "I don't know why I'm crying. I wanted it to be over months ago. Maybe it's just that I've haven't been on my own in years and now that I am, it's just come as a shock."

The revelation in itself was enough to catch Phil off guard, but the fact that he'd admitted to not being in love with Mike anymore? That seemed a little more important. The urge to hug him was almost too much to bear.