In the Gryffindor Tower

Summary: It's final exam season at Hogwarts and anxieties are high but for Dan, he's got more than memorized spells and potion methods on his mind...

Word Count: 3400

Snow had fallen overnight and by the morning, it was like a white carpet had settled over the Hogwarts grounds. Dan liked to go out into the courtyard early in the morning on days like this, and sometimes Phil would sneak out of his own dorm to join him. Unfortunately, he was on his own this time, sitting on a collapsed segment of wall, letting light snow fall onto his dark brown curls.

Phil was undoubtedly awake at this hour, cramming for their charms exam later that morning, and though Dan should probably be doing the same, he'd just had enough of the incantations and wand movements. He wanted this whole exam season to be over despite the fact that it had only just started.

The sun was starting to rise over the castle walls; it was time to go back, but there was something so comforting about being alone, his footprints the only things visible in the otherwise untouched snow.

"Hey, Dan" Dan turned around so quickly his red scarf slipped from his shoulders, swaying freely in the winter breeze. Standing in front of him was none other than Phil, hands buried deep in his pockets, his own yellow scarf wrapped tightly around his neck. He had a little quiff on his head, like he always did in the mornings, and usually he'd straighten it into a fringe over his right eye, but as of late, he'd taken to just leaving it as it was, sometimes putting a little gel in it to make it stay. Dan liked it; it made him look more confident. Confident and pretty.

Dan smiled at his best friend, beckoning him to sit next to him; breakfast could wait, he thought, as he focussed on the Whomping Willow in the distance, its branches without any leaves, but still remarkably beautiful with snow covering it with icicles hanging and glinting in the sunlight.

"Nervous?" Dan broke the silence, nudging Phil's shoulder with his own gently.

"Very," he sighed, his breath a small cloud in the cold air, "but I know there's nothing more I can do."

"Too much optimism this early in the morning," Dan grumbled, though he secretly loved how Phil could find the positive in even the darkest of situations. He might dare to say it had started rubbing off on him a little bit. Phil gave a small smile, "but seriously, you're really good at all this nerd stuff, you'll be fine."

"Gee, thanks." Phil laughed quietly, though it seemed obvious that his mind was still focussed on the grade that may or may not decide his future.

"I feel like you're not appreciating my advice." Dan huffed, albeit playfully, watching Phil's features carefully; it wasn't like he was scared Phil would explode, he was just acutely aware of the fact that he may be prone to becoming irritable, but Phil just laughed.

"That's not advice! You're just repeating the same things everyone else is," he stood up, brushing the snow from his robes and holding out his hand for Dan, "I'm not very hungry, but I'm sure it'll do us good to try and eat something."

Dan took his hand without a second thought, allowing himself to be led towards the castle again, their feet crunching softly into the snow with every step.

*

The Great hall was as extravagant as ever, the four long tables filled with every breakfast food you could think of. Above every table was a house crest on a flag, but no one paid attention to where they were traditionally supposed to sit anymore. Ever since the school had reopened after the Battle of Hogwarts, Proffesor McGonagall had encouraged the students to form inter-house friendships. It was something the students took for granted now.