This is my boyfriend...

Summary: My parents are extremely homophobic and they're visiting, so can you pretend to be my boyfriend as an extra "fuck you"?

Word Count: 3619

"So we'll be there tomorrow. See you then, son." The tone in which she spoke held very little affection, like she was simply going through the motions to keep up the pretence of having a perfectly functioning family. To be fair, it's a bit difficult to carry on said act when she and his father had kicked him out at nineteen after finding him in bed with another boy, but they seemed to have conveniently forgotten that minor detail.

But as much as he would have liked to make his thoughts known, his mum hung up, leaving no room for objection.

"Fuck!"

Phil, who had been making cookies just for the fun of it, emerged from the kitchen still wearing oven gloves, features laced with concern, though it was difficult to take him seriously with flour splattered across his face.

"You okay? What happened?"

Dan let out an exaggerated sigh, collapsing further into his sofa crease, "my parents are coming over tomorrow and you already know my opinion on them" His voice was ice cold, shoulders tensed at his sides, not relaxing even when Phil came to sit next to him.

His parents only reached out to him again about a year ago now, and to be honest, he'd barely spared them a second thought before then, more than happy with the life he had built with Phil, his best friend, the person who had been there for him when no one else was.

His parents were... Well they were extremely homophobic, and Dan never truly understood the extent of their beliefs until they kicked him out all those years ago, and though time had passed, it wasn't something he could forgive nor forget.

*

Dan could barely believe his eyes when he saw his dad calling him one late autumn afternoon, someone he thought he'd never have to speak to again. He had half a mind to ignore it and block the number, forgetting it never happened, but that was childish. As happy as he was with his life, holding grudges didn't do anyone any good.

"Hello?" He finally said, holding his phone to his ear tightly. The line was quiet for a moment, as if the person on the other end was surprised he had picked up at all, which was understandable.

"Hello Dan." The gruff voice of his dad sounded through his phone, and though it was calm now, he knew how loud it could get.

"Can I help you?" Dan decided to skip the formalities and cut straight to the chase; his parents wouldn't have contacted unless they needed something.

"Me and your mother have been talking," Dan waited for a long winded explaination as to why they needed him, "and we want to get back in touch with you."

To say the statement threw him off was an understatement to say the least, as it took his dad to ask if he was still there to get him to respond, but he couldn't think of anything more to say than "okay."

"I just think we left it at a bad place," a severe understatement, but he stayed unresponsive, "and now that time has passed, we think you've grown out of your, uh, phase, and we can act like a proper family again."

Dan couldn't begin to explain how much he wanted to punch his father through his phone screen, but instead he sat and listened, seething.

*

Granted, his parents seemed to at least try to make an effort from then on, even if it was only a five minute call every few months, and even then, they didn't seem to love him like a parent should, instead a quick "hello, how have you been? Goodbye, talk to you in a few months if we still care enough."