Chapter 2

The goal is to laugh forever with someone you take seriously.
Thegoodquote

Black
This was the umpteenth time I was checking my watch. She had said two hours so I'd expect her by 2:00 and it was already 2:20. I had dialed her number five times already without placing the call. I hated appearing impatient and she'll just make fun of me later so I decided to wait a little more. Ten more minutes I said to myself, If she wasn't here, I'll most definitely place that call.

How I longed to see her! Sometimes it felt like I would forget every detail of her before I saw her again. She wasn't drop-dead gorgeous but she was beautiful enough to draw attention. I missed how she rolled her eyes ever so often. I missed her laughing and showing her wonderfully crafted teeth. Masha Allah, I had made it clear that she had to be who my forever is with, else I'd be a very lonely man.

Thinking about her made me more restless, I wouldn't have lasted two minutes, talk more of ten. I punched her number then and called.

"Salaam Babe. What's with the delay? hope you're fine? Been here since 1:30" I said.

"Wa Salaam. Now I am, You look so handsome in red." She replied.

I smiled, turning in every direction.

There she was, coming toward me. Apparently, I had parked at the wrong gate. I hurried towards her and stopped just a few feet from her. She stopped too.

How I wanted to just hug and lift her from the ground, but we had a boundary, a line we had agreed to never cross, since we had forever together, all we had was time. She looked thinner and much darker than usual but still beautiful. I didn't even know I was grinning until I saw her also smiling broadly.

I closed the distance between us and took her bag, carefully, avoiding any contact between us. She noticed and smiled. Anyone looking at us must have thought we were pathetic and yes, I guess we were but it'll all be worth it. In a world where right and wrong had a very thin line, we had to know which side we belonged to.

" You look like a Kenyan, Sokoto must be "that" hot I guess. You should have at least bought some bleaching cream or something." I said chuckling, making air quotes for emphasis.

She rolled her eyes "Oh yeah? I don't suppose you have Bob Risky's number?"
She said.

I laughed without it reaching my heart. I was quite nervous and the atmosphere was slightly awkward. We didn't really know how to react.

Growing up, we had never been apart for more than a few days. Three months was really something, though we always spoke on the phone, it didn't help with the situation. I took her bag to the car with her right behind me. Unlocking it, I put the bag in the back seat and opened the door for her next to mine. She got in and I followed suit. I turned my keys in the ignition and then put on the A.C.

She was still so quiet. Normally wouldn't be surprising because she always was around others but never with me. Well, I couldn't blame her, distance did a lot to a person and I was going to make sure these two hours made her fully relaxed and back to normal. If only she had agreed to attend the same University as I, we wouldn't be having this issue.

"Relax Babe. I know it's been a while, but it's still me, as Black as you left me. Not like you should have left in the first place, you had a definite admission letter waiting for you at the Nile but no, you had to go somewhere else." I said, knowing full well she didn't appreciate the topic but it still pissed me off.

"Black. I'm sorry, and we've gone through this enough times. It's done already. I am sorry." She said, looking out the window.

She looked so tired and worn out, tired from her trip and obviously from me bringing this up every now and then. I decided to let it be and focus on driving. I planned to make a quick stop before taking her home.

Trusting her love for chocolate and ice cream, I knew she'd have nothing other than that, she barely ate real food and it was bound to take the awkwardness out of the air.

I got the snacks and we munched it all in the car. After her ice cream, she seemed more alive and chatted non stop about the school, promising to fill me in with whatever she had left out later. I heard half and just watched her through the other half. I had missed this especially. Her beaming while talking to me with so much enthusiasm. I adored her so much, I thought of how I'd make every moment with her worthwhile, how I'd do everything just to keep her and make her mine.

She mentioned a name that caught my attention, a Samuel, Aaah, I'd been waiting for it. Although I am sure she barely made herself visible in the school, someone still had to notice her. A friend she said, though I knew he was bidding time, making her comfortable and then boom! His intention would be clear. She must have noticed my disgust and she laughed so hard, I joined her. I'd have to tackle that later but right now, I just wanted to take in the sight of her

Sadly my time with her was up and I had to drive her home. Time always flew when we were together. She kept reassuring me of how we'd see tomorrow so I shouldn't be pulling an angry face but I didn't listen. Yes, I was upset. I couldn't help it, I knew even if I spent ten years just talking with her, it would never be enough.

When we arrived, I parked right in front of the gate of her house. It took forever for me to stop staring at her and let her out of the car. No words were uttered. She kept fiddling with the hem of her cloth, waiting for who'd say Bye first.

Ahmed helped with that by opening the gate, greeting us and welcoming her. The gatekeeper was perfect at his timing, else I would have found it too difficult letting her go. I managed a smile to make her feel better and she tried a nervous one too while opening the car door and going out. I watched her go in, turning once to wave. It had been the shortest two hours of my life but totally worth it. I looked forward to coming back tomorrow and presenting myself to Ummi and Abba properly and seeing my dear Sajdah again.