Chapter 12

Lemon

After missing our flight, which I was grateful for, though I would never admit it, but travelling by air scared me a lot. We took a Taxi to the motor Park. It already was so late, we were sure to arrive in kaduna an hour or two after midnight.

I had expected a lot of awkward conversations but after he got us refreshments, paid for the car and took his sit beside me, Black didn't say much. He asked me to make Du'a and he recited some verses of the Qur'an before sinking deeper into his seat. To my relief, he was not mad at me, but he wasn't talking also, which couldn't be good. I tried to get my mind of him and just relax. The buses were never comfortable but Black had made sure I got the best seat with enough room for my legs. I was glad he hadn't forgotten about my condition. Trying to focus on something else. I pondered on the day's events.

Like Sam had told me to, I was planning on calling Black after I got up the next day. I had woken, showered and made breakfast. I sat, eating, staring at my phone and thinking of how to begin the conversation with Black, when I heard a knock on my door. I hadn't seen Ihsan the previous day so I guessed it would be her. I dropped my spoon and went for the door. I opened to find Ibrahim standing on the pavement. I shook my head, trying to control my temper. He was the last person I wanted to see.

'' What are you doing here?'' I asked.

He looked a bit hurt by my question. I didn't even care. I just wanted him to leave.

'' Obviously I came to see you. You didn't reply any of my texts or return my calls. Just checking to see if you're fine. '' he said.

'' I'm fine Ibrahim. Thanks. And if you don't mind, I don't want company today."

I was being insensitive and rude but still, I really needed him to leave.

He seemed puzzled. I had never been that mean to him.

'' Are you sending me away?, You're not going to let me stay?" He asked.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. He knew I was telling him to leave yet he needed more confirmation. And worst of all, adding to my frustration, I was beginning to forget all I had practiced to tell Black.

" Ibrahim I......... '' I was saying before he pushed me aside, came into my apartment, locked the door behind him and was standing so close I could breath in his exhales. I immediately grew alarmed. He had never entered my apartment.

At first he didn't look directly at me, but when he did, I thought he was planning to kill me. He had a murderous look on his face, his eyes glistened red. I had never seen him like that. Well, except for that one time when I thought I imagined the look on our way to the airport. Now I was certain about it. I was trying to figure out what i had done to bring that part of him out. Already a shaking and scared to my bone.

" Let me make a few things clear" he said, grabbing my arm and pulling me to sit on one of the cushions. He bent beside me, I felt numb and rooted to the spot not uttering a word. What was he going to do to me?

" I have had eyes for you for a very long time and you've pretended to not notice. I have bought you gifts and made sure you got whatever you asked of me. If I want to visit you, I will, whenever I want to. You cannot tell me to leave." He said.

He was beginning to hurt me, his grasp on my arm tightening by the second. I thought I'd be sick.

On noticing I was in pain, his eyes softened a bit and he let go of me.

" Sajdah, I will never hurt you. I'll love you forever. Just give me the chance " He said.

I could only think he was crazy. He had said he would never hurt me, yet I had red spots on my arm which said otherwise. Who knows what he would do when he was actually ''angry" . I tried to be calm. I was alone and he had locked the door. There was no escape i

" Ibrahim. I never knew you had strong feelings for me. I have someone else in my life. " I said and immediately regretted it.

All the softness that had just returned vanished. I was already making Du'a because I didn't know what his next move would be. I thought of the worst that could happen then inwardly I smiled, whatever happened to me, Black and Samuel would make sure he paid for it fully with extras. And with that, I dispelled all forms of fear.

He stood, pacing first then stopped. He stared at me for a while.

" Where has he been all this while? The only man I know you with is Samuel. Wait... Just hold on a second... He's the person we were to pick at the airport?" He asked.

I simply nodded. He became more furious, then turned and grabbed my beautiful flower vase from my center piece and threw it at the wall. It broke into a thousand pieces. I flinched. This man was a psychopath.

He glared at me.

"If you won't have me, He would never have you." He said each word with more fury than the last. His threat leaving me frozen. Having said that, He walked to the door, unbolted it, and left.

I sat there for what seemed like hours. Thinking about nothing in particular. I finally stood and went to get a broom and Parker. I swept the mess he made and took my cold breakfast to the sink. I had lost my appetite. I went to my room and laid on my bed. It could have been much worse, what if he had assaulted me just to make a point? What if he had physically hurt me? So many WHAT IFs.

I dialed Sam's contact.

" Yay... Black still loves you and you're leaving for Kaduna. You get married and it's happily ever after. Let me not say I told you so." He said.

I felt a tear slide down my cheek. I wish that was the news I wanted to give him. I drifted a little, thinking about I and Black married. It had been the plan since forever. Now everything was ruined and I had Ibrahim to deal with.

" Are you there? What's up with you?" Sam asked.

"Ibrahim came over" I said.

I heard him curse over the phone.

" To do what? He asked.

I quickly told him all that happened.

" This is exactly why I've been emphasizing on you calling Black. You're not safe. That guy is bad news Sajdah, real bad news. Have you called Black?"

"No, I was going to before Ibrahim came. Now I just don't have the strength for anything " I said.

" Okay, how about you rest and try sleeping. You always feel better after you sleep. I'll wake you. Just put yourself together. Everything will be fine."

He had a point. I had to think of what my next move will be.

" Let me do that." I said

" Yes don't worry, everything will be fine. I promise. " He said and I ended the call.

I laid there for a while, letting the tears fall on my pillow till sleep took over me. That was how Black found me.

I watched the road through the window beside me, a habit of mine whenever I travelled. Miles and miles of darkness blanketed the horizon. I turned to look at Black, his eyes were closed but I knew he wasn't asleep.

"Who's coming to pick us up when we arrive? It would be very late. Taxi's aren't safe by that time of the night."

" Rabiu is back." He said, still with his eyes closed.

I wondered what was going through his head but I didn't ask any more questions. Rabiu was back. I couldn't wait to see him. He would help a lot if any fight arose between Black and I. Our reunion would be much easier. I resumed looking out the window, there was nothing to see but I didn't have a choice. Black wasn't planning on being chatty.