Chapter 13

Ibrahim

She left! Without informing me! I was infuriated. She had no idea who I was. No one messed with me. I turned to look at her neighbor's daughter. She had been pleading with me since I arrived because of all the fuss I was making. I shoved her aside with so much force, she fell to the ground and I headed for my car. Taking out my phone from my rear pocket, I dialed his number. On the first ring, he took the call.

"Hello boss, what's the job?" said the heavily drugged voice. How could he be high so early already? Did I make a mistake leaving him in charge?

" We have work to do in kaduna" I said. I knew he'd get the message, I didn't need to say more.

" I'll meet you at zone 9" he replied.
I couldn't be at zone 9 I thought,if anyone recognized me there, it would hurt Dad's campaign. This was a part of me I hid very well.

" No, I'll come to your place." I said.

" But boss, the business is fine, let me save you the stress." He said.

" I own the business" I barked. "I've left you in charge of it for too long, you should be glad I pre-informed you." I said then cut the call. He had to be stupid to think he knew what was best for me.

I thought of the man Sajdah must have ran off to, he was going to be sorry she picked him instead of me. No one could save him from me.

Lemon

'' You both are the biggest chickens I know." Rabiu was saying.

" You've barely spoken to each other since you arrived, I'm going home. It's because I'm here, that's why your misbehaving." He said.

Black and I turned almost immediately. He had been of great help to us. If not for him, there would have been a lot of awkward conversations that eventually would lead to a fight. For some reason, Black had lost almost all the calm which I grew up to know him with. The only time I had seen him smile was back at my apartment. Since at the bus from Sokoto , he only spoke to me when it was necessary and I was scared to say anything then. But now, It was getting really annoying. If he was going to be so distant, why did he bother coming to take me? I was ready to tell him a lot of stuff he wouldn't like to hear, Rabiu was the only reason I was still holding back my tongue.

" No no no. If you go, I'm sure this house would be too small for "you know who" and I." I said, making emphasis with air quotes.

Rabiu laughed.

" I'm right here Lemon and I have a name." Black said.

I turned to look at him, Rabiu and I had taken the bigger sofa and he sat on the single cushion, changing from one channel to the other on the Tv, without staying long enough to watch any.

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't notice. Last I checked, you had turned mute." I replied.
What had gotten into me? Obviously Black had every reason to be mad but I was getting fed up already.

He looked away from the TV. Yes, it was going to happen. I had finally triggered him.

" You've only been around for three days and you're complaining? I suffered it for five years!" he said and laughed humorlessly.

"Five years Lemon, all that time, what were you doing? Clearly three days won't kill you, if five years didn't kill me." he said.

"Bro, easy." Rabiu said.

"No Rabiu, no. I'm sick and tired of being the one to hold things in. So she's allowed to misbehave whenever she feels like and I should just bottle mine up? Tell me Lemon, how many times did you care to think of what I was going through. Everyone left. I was alone. Did you ever think about that?" he asked with so much pain in his eyes.

Each word that fell off his lips felt like a needle pricking my skin. I had hurt him so much and yet I had the guts to be mad at him. If anything, he had been very good to me all along.

"I.... I'm so sorry Black. I truly am." I said. Staring at my feet. I couldn't look at him again. What had I done? To think it was all my fault. All these years, he had suffered even more than I did. I had chosen to be alone. He hadn't.

" You're going to make her cry. Thumbs up bro. You've wanted her back since forever, she's here now and you're making her cry. How smart of you." Rabiu said.

I knew he was trying to lighten up the air but I couldn't help but feel miserable. I stood, heading for my room.

"Why, why are you always running away? You know, that is what pains me the most. If we can't work things out together, then why do you have me?" Black said.

I stopped midway. I was definitely going to cry. I had no answer to that. I had been running for years. What else could I do?

"Look at me Lemon." he said. Sounding much closer. I didn't even realize when he walked up to me. I did as he said, ever so slowly.

All the pain and anger I had seen minutes earlier washed away immediately from his face. As always, Black could never bear seeing me cry.

" Don't cry, please, just don't. I'm not mad at you anymore. I just need do get some things out of my system. I'm really sorry." he said.
How could he be sorry? This was all my fault.

" Black, all those years, I focused on just my pain alone. I never thought about you. I was selfish and stupid. I know no amount of sorry I say can make up for it but I would show you, just let me, I would show you how sorry I am." I said.

I knew I had hurt him and I was ready to do everything to make up for it.

"Did you date anyone? "he asked. I hadn't expected that question. It actually got me laughing.

" If I wasn't dating you, do you really think I would go into a relationship with anyone else? It had always been you or no one. You know that."

It was his turn to smile. I was glad his mood was better.

"I asked myself that question a million times." he replied.

We stood there, staring at each other. Letting the years of hurt melt away. We had each other now, that was all that mattered.

" Eh, ehm.. Should I leave the room? Please say no, I am loving this movie. " Rabiu said.

I laughed and finally broke eye contact with Black.

" You crazy catalyst, it worked according to your plan right?" I asked.

"I had anticipated you two to be annoying chickens when you returned. I was just waiting for the right moment" he replied, smiling.

Black laughed a loud throaty laugh, exactly the way Dad would. I couldn't be happier. Finally he was being the Black I had always known and loved with all my heart. I still did, no man could ever compare to him in my life.

"Okay, how about you guys finish my plan just the way it is in my head. Black, there's something you have to show her." Rabiu said.

Black smiled, looking at Rabiu with knowing eyes.

" Oh yes, I can't believe I forgot. She has to see it. Thanks man." Black said.

"Make me the best man, that'll be enough thanks. I see Iman already planning for it, I might die if he's the best man."

Black and I both laughed.

"Who's Iman? " I asked.

" A friend of mine from college. Let's go. You'll love what I have to show you." Black said.

We had almost walked out the front door when Rabiu yelled at us.

"Yes, don't worry about this guy, he'll just seat and do nothing all by himself. " he said.

" More reason why you should have been less of a nerd and gotten a girlfriend." Black yelled back.

I was still laughing when we got to the car. I got in and Black took his seat beside me. I thought of how many times we had been like this in the past and smiled. Things were back to normal.