Chapter 9

As long you're holding my hand
It will never be lost
Thegoodquote

Black

"Rabiu please, you have no idea what she has done to me. I have been foolish for too long. I tried, honestly I did. I kept making excuses for her. Maybe it was the pain, maybe she was suffering within herself but weren't we all suffering? At some point while we were growing up, I didn't know which were my parents, whether Abba and Ummi or my Dad and Mum. I felt the loss just as much as she did. I don't know how, but she grew heartless to me alone after their deaths, and I don't even know why. Sometimes I feel maybe she blames me for it but how is that even possible? I want to get over her and I am trying to, so please don't mess that up for me." I said.

He just stood there, staring at me with so much pity in his eyes. I knew, I was a huge mess. It had been a month since I got back from Sokoto. I had barely done much, I stayed in the house all day, only calling the farm to check how it's been running. I was devastated and angry.

Though I handled most of the transactions at HassanUmar farms, Mallam Zubair was the one who literally watched over it. His house was an extension of the farm. He had been employed there even before my birth. Dad and Abba trusted him very much. He had two wives, Rabiu was the third son from his first wife. We had spent a lot of time together when we were younger, he, Lemon and I had been inseparable. Abba had sponsored him abroad to study Computer Programming and after his death, Dad had continued to take care of his finances. They always said among all Mallam Zubair's children, he showed most promise. He had just returned a week ago and was bent on bringing Lemon and I back together.

" Fine, I've heard all you said, just give me her contact then. I've asked for it a dozen times already and she'll listen to me. Let me call and hear what she has to say" He said.

"I'm not giving, I really don't need her anymore and I'd prefer if you didn't call. Plus I deleted it." I said.

I knew I sounded lame, pathetic even, but honestly I didn't know how to behave or what to do. I had never been the aggressive type so going to confront the guy wasn't an option. Well, except when we were younger and some guy wanted Lemon's phone number in my presence, then some inner part of me which I had no control over would surface. Now I couldn't do anything, she was old enough to make her decisions. She had always been my everything and now I had to let her go. It hurt me so much, it hurt even more that I couldn't fight for her anymore, she had made her choice.

" Alright. Let's go out, you've been indoors since I got back, show me round town at least. It's been too long, the boys at home won't shut up about some new arcade village. You must know it. I want to go there." Rabiu said.

I really had been inside for too long and that wasn't helping me. Some air wouldn't hurt and I always enjoyed playing games. He had a point.

" Let me get ready, gimme 5 minutes." I said as I stood up.

"Take your time" he said after me as I walked to my room.

Twenty minutes later, I had called Iman to join us at the arcade and was driving with Rabiu beside me, he was talking about some project he was working on and how he was on the verge of a breakthrough. I sighed, I had forgotten how much of a nerd he had always been.

" You know you should have agreed to school in India also, I would have gotten at least one girlfriend. Instead I couldn't even hold a conversation with any, I ended up dating my books. Luckily for me, I could change them ever so often." He said.

Yes, I could have gone with him, but I couldn't leave Lemon. Oh Lemeon, every decision I'd made over the years was greatly influenced by her.In spite of myself, I chuckled, he had always been a unique character.

" You're so good looking, sometimes I'm jealous. No, most times I am. Plus I'm sure that's why the girls didn't stay, they couldn't handle your handsomeness." I said, this time laughing. I being as sarcastic as I could.

He laughed. "Yeah right, and Sajdah still fell for you" He said.

My breath caught, for a minute I had forgotten about her. Once upon a time, she did fall for me, but now, was a totally different story. What was she doing right then? was she with the new guy? So many thoughts swam in my head. Rabiu must have realized his mistake.

" Sorry man, I'm a major screw up. I shouldn't have said that. " He said.

"It's fine, you can talk about her, she was a part of my life once and I can't deny that." I said.

Just then I sighted Abba and Ummi's house, it had been a while I drove down the street and subconsciously I had taken the route so I decided to stop by. The Last time I did was when it was still under reconstruction. I had asked Dad to fund it, considering half the money from the hospital and farm was Abba's, it was the least we could do for Lemon. I wanted it to be a surprise for her when she got back. I had been so optimistic while planning everything and it had been a wonderful reunion in my head.

Rabiu had been silent after his comment. Obviously feeling bad. I looked at him and almost laughed, he looked like he was going to cry. Though, true to my words, he was good looking but this was why he didn't get the girls, he was an adult man with the heart of a ten year old. I nudged him at the shoulder.

" It's fine really. I want to make a quick stop, it's been a while I saw Ahmed." I said.

" Okay." he said. Obviously still feeling bad.

"Stop pulling a face or I'll beat you into a pulp." I said.

He may be weak in a lot of aspects but if it came down to it, I was sure to beg for mercy at his hands. That worked liked magic and already he was grinning.

" You know better my boy, you know better. "

And we both laughed. I was grateful to him, if he had been around all these years, a lot could have been different. Maybe, just maybe, Lemon would still be mine.