Chapter 6

Fight against what you hate
And you will perish
Fight for what you love
And you will flourish
Thegoodquote

Black
I never looked at any girl with much interest all through school. I wasn't lacking in anything though, I had the looks and enough money for fun but my heart was made for one only. Even when I convinced myself a million times that I'd gotten over her, I would find myself telling the lie of the century. It was just impossible.

Managing HasaanUmar farms on the other hand provided me enough to occupy my head and reduce the torment thinking about her brought, I worked always, improving the farm like I had watched Abba and Dad do for years. Dad flew into the country monthly to check on me and the hospital. Since Lemon left, she never called so I called everyday. Sometimes she'd pick and I'll do all the talking till I got frustrated and then end it without her saying a word, other times she wouldn't pick the call, well most times she wouldn't take the calls.

For the first two months, she'd take the call when she felt like. From calling daily it became thrice a week, twice a week, once a week and then once a month till I stopped. Until last year, I was still calling her and it had been five years already. I couldn't believe she had survied that long without talking to me.What was the point? She obviously had moved on without me. The last time she actually talked on a call, her words were, "Move on Black. I won't come back".
I thought it was still the pain talking so I kept trying, convincing her it'll get better, I couldn't just let her go. I remembered Abba's last message to me. I had to keep trying. She needed me.

In that time I became a total mess. I resumed school and managed to go through lectures. My only Friend, Iman understood what I was going through. All I ever talked about before was Lemon and after I told him what happened, he helped me a great deal. I felt like the world had come crashing on me but with time, I began to heal. Iman said I should wait, she would come around, all she needed was time. I knew her in and out. If she didn't want to talk to me, of all people, then she didn't want to talk to anyone, much less some other guy but now after five years had passed, I wasn't so sure anymore.

Salim and Farouk called often. Dad was doing much better at least, though he was still quite withdrawn. Farouk was having the time of his life, Uncle Bilal spoilt him even more than Ummi did he said. Salim on the other hand was becoming more responsible, obviously with my absence, he was given much more respect than he deserved. They had grown so well and I was pretty sure Salim was taller than I now. I wished mum was here to see them, I always thought.

When Dad called, I finally told him my plans.

"It's a good idea and you have gone through a lot these five years, you need to do this. I wish you luck. Allah's with you. She calls often to check up on all of us so I know she's well and fine, also I see her whenever I'm in the country" he said.

What was he saying, Lemon was calling him and he always met with her? Typical. Why am I not surprised?

" Dad you never mentioned, even Salim said nothing, I stopped calling her a year ago" I said.

" Oh I'm sorry. I didn't want to be a part of you two's problem. She asked after you and I said I thought she had your contact so she should know. She misses you i'm sure but wont admit it to herself. She's a different person now and has grown into a beautiful and intelligent woman, even trying to talk me out of sending her allowances." he said, laughing slightly then he stopped quickly, his face dimming.

" Oh Hassan, if only you were here to see how wonderfully she has turned out even without my help." he said to noone in particular.

He had stopped referring to Abba as Alhaji since he died, it was their secret joke and I could imagine how much it still hurt him plus he would never stop putting blame on himself. It also hurt him that he left Sajdah when she needed him most but understandably we all dealt with the loss in our own way.

"Okay Dad, enough of that. You still call and check up on her often, she's not a child, if she needs you, she'll say. Now you take care of yourself. I have to go, my regards to Uncle Bilal."

" Alright. You take care too." he said and I ended the call. They all looked well, Alhamdulillah. Now I had to go prepare for my trip. I had become more positive about going to see her since she did still ask after me so I did the bravest thing I had ever done in my entire life, even with all the hurt I held on to. It all depended on if she wanted to see me. I dialed her number once again, partly wishing she wouldn't pick, hoping I could back out, I wasn't ready. First ring..... second ring..... third ring.....

" Salam " she said. I couldn't believe it. My head went blank, for a minute I forgot why I called. I had missed the sweet sound of her voice for way too long.

" Salaam" she said again.

" Wa....Wa salaam Lemon, it's been a while" I said. I couldn't think of anything else to say. What did you tell the love of your life after she has ignored you for five years?

" It sure has, how have you been?" she said. Her voice sounding so tiny I could barely make the words out. This was equally difficult for her. Of course she knew what i'd gone through.

" Well Lemon, I've been well" I said, meaning so much in those three words and then silence. No one said anything. She must have gotten the message.

" I want to come see you " I finally said and she gasped.

" Okay" she replied after a while.

" I'll be there tomorrow, I'll call you when I arrive. "

" Okay" she said again, after another intense silence she said bye and ended the call.

I kept staring at my phone. What would it be like to see her? Oh how I've missed her.
I wasn't expecting everything to just go back to the way it was but we would talk and figure things out, and bit by bit things would be good again. I'd given her all the time she needed, it was time for us to heal together. I couldn't hold anything against her. Over the years, I had tried to hate her, even dislike her at least, but it all was futile. I just stopped trying, but now, I had to bring her back. Her home was nowhere else but with me.
*******
Is lemon still the same? Would she take him back? What would it be like for them to meet again?

All these you'll find out in chapter 7, which is right around the corner.

I hope you loved it so far.

Please vote, comment too and tell me what you think.