9.Age

I looked around. All of the enemy agents were unconscious, except some of them would remain that way forever. Oh well, they had detained me.

Our guards on this side of the gate had been killed before I had even arrived. I had known all of them, including James. They had all been there when I came back from my mission earlier and their shifts had probably been close to ending when the attack happened.

Suddenly, the gate opened distracting me from my thoughts. Nate, Dylan, and around ten other agents stood there looking ready to fight.

"Hey" I said pulling my hair out of my ponytail and letting it fall down my back again.

"They're all dead?" Someone exclaimed in shock.

"Or unconscious" I corrected him.

"You really hate getting held up" Dylan commented.

"No, I love it" I sarcastically replied.

"Very funny" he dryly stated.

"Just be glad you aren't dead for the stunt you pulled earlier" I said.

"Any injuries?" Dylan asked desperate to change the topic. Maybe he had faced my wrath a few too many times.

"No, I faced over thirty people and got out completely unharmed" I said rolling my eyes.

"Are you going to pass out?" He asked.

"What am I, someone who cries when they get a paper cut? Oh wait, that's you" I said snickering as I remembered the last time Dylan got injured. He had been crying like a baby all because he twisted his ankle.

When you're an agent, you have to get used to fighting even when your bones break. The injuries I sustained in the fight were an everyday occurrence and didn't phase me. The only thing that bothered me was the physical evidence left behind. I had told a lot of lies about being clumsy to cover up for broken limbs or stitched up wounds.

"Alright then, let's get you to my sister" Dylan said ignoring my jab.

"Now who's not using code names" I smugly commented.

"Let's get you to agent Healer" Dylan corrected.

"Much better, so I'd rather not get blood all over your car. Want to walk?" I asked him.

"Just get in the car" Dylan said sounding exasperated. We all got into the car and Dylan began to drive.

"We lost people today" he solemnly commented.

"If I had been in the other side..." Nate trailed off.

"If you had been on the other side, you would've had a good chance of surviving. If I could take them on alone, then you could've taken them with the help if the other guards. It wasn't a battle of strength though, they took us by surprise. It was the shock that we all felt that allowed them to defeat the other guards" I told him.

"Each day we're here, we can die" Nate stated.

"I can never remember that. It's been so long since I've been severely injured that I've forgotten" Dylan finished. Those two seemed to share a brain at times. Dylan would always be able to complete Nate's thoughts or easily add on to them.

"I know I can die each day. I never forget it, but I never let it stop me" I said.

"You don't act like someone who thinks they can die" Dylan observed.

"Like I said, I can't let it stop me. Today, I've scaled walls, broken into other agencies, and jumped off a building. We all have our lives ahead of us and don't want to think about what happens if we die doing this job. I get it, I really do. It's just that we do this in order to save hundreds of lives. One life compared to hundreds seems so insignificant. If I die, at least I saved others. To me that doesn't sound so bad" I said.

"How old are you?" Nate exclaimed.

"Not as old as people think" I absentmindedly said.

"Everyone thinks you're in college. Isn't that true?" Dylan asked. Yet another mistake. I was making too many of them today. I couldn't have anyone find out who I was. I just couldn't.

"It is what people think" I said trying to avoid the question.

"You're still in high school, aren't you?" Nate accused suddenly forgetting about being a man of few words. I guess my identity was too exciting to remember. I let out a sigh knowing that I wouldn't be able to talk my way out of this one.

"Yes" I said.

"You've been with the agency for six years though. You joined in middle school?!" Nate exclaimed when he put together the facts.

"Possibly" I said. Sixth grade. I made my way onto a secure and unknown website in sixth grade.

"You did!" Nate triumphantly exclaimed.

"Tell anyone else and you're dead. Both of you. Your dad's the only one who knows I'm still in school and he keeps it of my file because he wants to live" I threatened the two of them.

"Do you go to our school?" Dylan asked ignoring my threat.

"No. I go to other other high school about an hour's drive away and closer to the other agencies in the area" I sarcastically said.

"You go to our school and we still don't know who you are" Dylan observed. Probably because I'm a grade lower then them and they would never talk to someone like me.

I wasn't unpopular, but I wasn't popular either. No one really noticed me. I just skated by in everything. Even my amazing grades went unnoticed by everyone but my teachers. Dylan and Nate were the most popular guys in school. They'd never talk to an unnoticed girl who's a grade lower then them.

"Are you Diana?" Dylan asked. I nearly gagged. Diana was the last person I wanted to be associated with. Blond, beautiful, and the bane of most girl's high school existence. The only reason her constant bullying didn't get to me was because I didn't care. She never left me alone and was annoying enough to make me want to push her off a cliff.

"Not telling you" I said in a singsong voice after I successfully avoided vomiting in Dylan's car.

"Fate? Dove? Liv? Sky?" Dylan guessed. All of them dit the image of a stereotypical, popular, high school girl. Cheerleaders, had all the guys drooling and all the girls green with envy, and a few of them were actually nice.

"Still not telling" I finally said cutting off his list of names.

"And here we are, agent Healer's" I said. In other words, the agency's clinic or hospital depending on what you wanted to call it. Dylan parked the car, we all got out, and entered the building.