Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 6 - ZYR

August 10 | Late Noon

The door to the flat was shielded by some sort of enchantment. My awareness skipped past it each time I tried to inspect it closer. No one searching for it would find it. If I hadn't tracked the person Aurie left the hotel with, I wouldn't have found it, either.

The woman who opened at my knock was a Supernatural. I didn't bother guessing what type. My gaze went straight to Aurie Edison. Long, curly hair. A face that was mostly gorgeous eyes and plush lips. The crown of her head barely reached my chin, and she was petite but shapely. I tried not noticing she wore no more than an oversized t-shirt, exposing toned, flawless legs.

Something crashed in the kitchen.

"Coffee, anyone?" asked the woman in blue pajamas.

"Yes, thank you, ma'am," I remembered my manners. Not to mention the reason I was here. I led Aurie to the couch. "What can you tell me about last night, Ms. Edison?" I asked, taking notes.

"Please, call me Aurie. I've had memory problems since it happened. All I can recall is that I was out with my sister. Do you know where she is?"

"Your sister Haley Edison is with your family. We've spoken with her, but let's try to fill in the blanks from your perspective. Think a surveillance clip might jog things?" I pressed play on a video on my phone, and Aurie leaned in to see.

"This is surreal," she said. "I never imagined I'd be helping a Supernatural investigator solve my murder."

"Murder? I'd rather you focus on what you remember, and we'll see where the evidence takes us," I explained, pointing at the clip. "This is how I realized your, erm, Soul was out here. Luckily, Supers can see Overlay City even on surveillance. I used traffic cameras after you left the hotel, and I tracked your companion's scent the rest of the way."

"That's so cool. I lowkey wish I could tell Haley about this. She's totally into the occult."

"Is she?" I asked, feeling uncomfortably warm as she scooted closer to me on the couch. Her bare thigh next to mine distracted me with desire. It was the moon wreaking latent havoc with my—

Thump! A coffee mug was plunked in front of me, and Blue Pajamas disappeared into the bathroom with a rustle of silk. I glared after her. What was her problem?

"I remember that!" Aurie said suddenly.

My attention ricocheted back to her. "Remember what?"

"From this camera angle, you can't see it, but there was a display placard for the event. It was right outside this door."

"The door to the penthouse suite of Century Luxe."

"Uh-huh. It was in some foreign language. Haley figured swanky internationals wouldn't mind us mixing and mingling. We snuck into the event but, if I'm not mistaken, we spent most of our time there outside on the balcony."