Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 21 - MYS

September 1 | Sunday Evening

Fading daylight illuminated the basement windows by the time Detective Zyr showed up at my place. As I let him in, I peered around the cathedral alley, but I sensed nothing troublesome on his heels. We were taking extra precautions since Darcy's visit.

"Aurie's in the bath," I said. "I sent her off with a God is a Womxn bath bomb and chamomile tea. Given the look on your face, she needs her chakras aligned for whatever news you have."

"The Council is reviewing my emergency audience request, moving at the speed of bureaucracy. I'll keep Paul Jameson's pending arrest to myself until I've convinced them to continue investigating Cyprian. In the meantime, our Guardian Angel wouldn't confirm he's protecting anyone."

"Majika?" I sulked.

"Magic what?" Zyr asked.

"Maji-ka-yoit means 'really' or 'seriously'—Doesn't matter. My apartment isn't up for another meltdown. Didn't he have anything positive to say?"

He dropped to the couch as if exhausted. "I didn't have the authority to compel him to tell me more, but he commended the facility where Haley is held. Said it's top-notch," he replied. "From what I know, security is taken seriously there—cameras, lockdown, one-to-one guards for their patients."

I sat on the coffee table across from him and curved a foot under me. "It's better than I feared. Darcy may be a boss, but a system like that would slow down anyone. He can't rush the hospital and kidnap a patient without the authorities getting involved, and he won't risk it."

Zyr nodded noncommittally. Gods, he's the Brooding Stoic. His somberness filled the room, and I could relate. I was more involved in this investigation than I had ever intended. I gave in to the impulse to stroke the hair back from his forehead. The move elicited a lingering look from him. "Relax. It sounds like Haley's okay for now," I suggested with a half-smile.

He brightened somewhat. "On the plus side, since we're charging Aurie's stalker, Mrs. Edison and I are back on good terms. She'll call me if anything happens at the hospital. Now, we wait to hear back from the Council."

"I hope the bureaucrats hurry."

Aurie stepped from the bathroom draped in my kimono. She was toweling dry her hair. "What's the update?" she asked.

Zyr couldn't stop gawking at her—the smooth, brown legs, the swell of her breasts, the rest of her curves beneath the thin silk—but she was oblivious to the effect she had on him. Her focus was on Haley's well-being. The detective recovered himself and slid his phone to her as she passed by him.

"See for yourself," he said.

She inhaled sharply and cupped the mobile device, staring. Her eyes glimmered as she mouthed, "Thank you," to Zyr. She pooled in her favorite chair (my favorite chair) with it. Over her shoulder, I peered at the image. Her sister was very much like her, except Haley was taller than Aurie.

In case there was any doubt, Haley Edison was dressed in a blue hospital uniform with soft slipper-socks on her feet, which proved it was a current picture. She was in bed displaying a weak smile. An attractive older woman who gave me Angela Bassett vibes grinned next to her. I assumed it was their mother. A man in a black suit with a coiled earpiece was also pictured. Security.

"She's been transferred to a private therapy center," Zyr explained. "It's a state-of-the-art facility with unparalleled safety features. Per your mom, Haley's doing much better."

Aurie's relief was palpable, but the moment of repose was brief. "Now about Paul Jameson. Why didn't you mention he was a suspect sooner?" she asked.

"Because to me, he's not. We'll get him off the streets for breaking the restraining order, but my primary concern is convincing the Council to open an official investigation into Darcy Cyprian. My source wants an affidavit and video testimony made as soon as possible, in case...." Zyr trailed off, and he and I shared a look. In case Aurie couldn't show up. "Just in case," he finished lamely.

"You know, Darcy told me he's on the Council," said Aurie.

Zyr lifted a shoulder. "Didn't I mention he's a rich and powerful asshole?"

"He also implied they won't investigate one of their own." She frowned.

"You underestimate your importance," he replied. "You're the daughter of America's Favorite Female Director. Your mother's moving heaven and hell to get your case solved, and the Council will have to take note...although Paul Jameson's arrest throws a wrench into things."

I stretched, leaving the coffee table to collect Aurie's mug and wash it in the kitchenette. From the marble island, I asked, "How can we help you get more evidence against him to uphold the case? Are there police reports? Is there a chance one of the tabloids ran something since he's such a bigshot in New Orleans?"

"It's possible. I'll find someone else to do the scut work. I need you keeping tabs on Aurie, especially with Cyprian knowing this location."

"And I guess I'll do whatever it takes to keep my shit together," Aurie mumbled.

I paused in surprise. "Are you saying what I think you're saying?" I asked as I dried my hands and moved behind our favorite chair. She peered at me with a comical scowl.

"I'm saying I'll do just enough living my best life to keep the insanity at bay while I stay in Overlay City and watch out for my sister."

"We've been over this, Aurie. As far as Cyprian knows, you're his target. You don't need to linger in Overlay City," said Zyr. He gestured to me for support, but I directed him to her. He blew out a breath in frustration. "Need I remind you? The game-plan is for you to work on your unfinished business so you can wake up on the Other Side where you belong, young lady."

"I'll get there! Eventually. After Haley pulls through and we take out Darcy Cyprian, I can say goodbye to my family and head to the Light."

Stepping between them on the couch and chair, an idea occurred to me. "What if we could test it? The two of you go out and see if the displaced energy stops," I suggested. The detective gave me a pointed eye roll, and Aurie booed, but I was onto something. "What will one date hurt?"

"I see you're determined to live vicariously through me." Aurie giggled.

"One date? That's it?" Zyr asked.

I waggled a hand. "More or less."

He gave a skeptical snort, and his amber eyes skipped over to our companion, who restlessly left the chair and strode to my bed. Aurie fell to the mattress with casual sexiness. The kimono fluttered, hinting at her nudity underneath. My desire flared, and so did Zyr's. It was odd feeling both strains.

Aurie was the first to give in: "I'll do one date, but I'd like to go somewhere a ghost can sample the spirits of the city."

Zyr hooked a finger in his t-shirt and loosened his collar. "Sample the spirits?"

"She means alcohol, and I know a place," I chuckled.

"Then I guess it's a date." He grinned. "For the three of us."