Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 40 - AURIE

September 9 | Monday Night

My attention darted to the source of something hitting the fading planks of the porch. The steady stream of conversation Mys had kept up since our arrival went mute. Zyr glanced over his shoulder at us, and he shut the back door. But a few minutes later, we clearly heard him tell someone, "I need you."

What the hell? I thought. At my look of affront, Mys lifted an elegant shoulder as if we had no reason to feel slighted. I tried to be as unaffected. As much as I hated the thought, I didn't exist in the flesh. What right did I have to be upset at Zyr seeing someone real? Especially if Mys was unbothered.

"So, what changed?" my intuitive roommate asked.

"With what?" I tabbed to something else on the playlist, and a gravelly tenor voice erupted from the cellphone. Rhythm and blues music accompanied lyrics begging for mercy from love unrequited. Groaning, I blotted out my feelings and let the song play.

"With you. Seems like you have better control of your glitchy poltergeist freak-out moments. Was it the ménage?" Mys probed.

I pulled a face and laughed. "No, asshole, and I wasn't glitchy. I think getting rid of Darcy is doing it for me. I mean, that's the best I can offer Haley. After Count Jerkula is officially canceled, my sister can make it on her own, which makes me think the investigation was the real—"

"Unfinished business," Mys finished for me. "Ten out of ten for my predictive skills. Oof."

I smiled with my eyes closed. Warm fingers skimmed my arm, whispered over my palm and brought my hand to even warmer lips. Butterflies lifted and settled in my core. When my eyelids lifted a fraction, I was captivated by the pink mouth curved into a hammock of a smile. I wanted to lay on those lips and fall asleep, safe and sound forever.

But I couldn't. This wasn't a forever thing. Unexpected emotion welled to the surface. It was impossible to hide. Concern sketched Mys' brow. "What's wrong?" they whispered. I shook my head.

"Nothing. I just wonder how?" I hesitated before blurting out, "How do you do it? Client after client, night after night, love after love?"

Mys sat up and cupped my face. "I don't. Work is work, but this..." Our lips clashed in a kiss that stole my breath. I flowed into their lap, as desire surged, but the kiss was comfort, not seduction. Mys gentled it to a languid exploration that was interrupted by Zyr reentering the cabin.

The detective made it a point to slam the door. I gripped the base of Mys' neck, moaning as we kept going. Zyr cleared his throat. "Change of plans," he said. "My partner will be here in a few hours."

Mys broke the kiss to give him a disapproving glower. "Why is she coming?" asked the Empath.

"Because we're short on supplies," Zyr muttered. Our unrelenting stare made him shift his weight and admit, "I also got a call from my younger brother, and I have reason to believe it wasn't really Yazeed."