Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 61 - AURIE

September 12 | HEA

September 12 | HEA

Baron Samedi stepped forward with his top hat in hand. "If I may add," he spoke up in his melodic Haitian patois. "Monsieur Cyprian hired me to resurrect ti fi with intentions exactly as she describes."

Mal cut eyes at him, but Brigit shoved the slender woman aside and descended the steps to the head council's level. "Not to mention, he wanted for us to kill the wee lassie when we begged off just now in the music room!" she fumed. All tea, all shade.

"And it's not only Aurie Edison," Tegan went on. "We have evidence spanning over fifty years for crimes ranging from carnal knowledge of a juvenile to sexual assault. Darcy Cyprian gave me the cold case files, personally. It's all there."

I leaned heavily on Mys for support while Mr. Distefano held up the jump drive and smirked at Darcy's attorney. "Do you have anything to say for your client, Ms. Ashivant?" the man asked.

Mal lifted a shoulder blithely. "I haven't seen the evidence, nor do I have personal knowledge of any of this. As far as I'm concerned, it's hearsay and defamation of character."

"I beg your pardon!" The head of the council stiffened. "Need I remind you the accusers are standing here talking about what happened in your music room?"

My gaze ping-ponged to Mal Ashivant.

"I'm sure Mr. Cyprian welcomes an investigation exonerating him of all wrongdoing." She crossed her arms, and I shuddered. She sounded like a woman who was used to winning.

"You understand the magnitude of the allegations against him?" Mr. Distefano pressed.

"I don't discuss allegations. I defend against prosecution. Let me know when you're ready."

"We will do that, Ms. Ashivant. Also, please inform your client that until this matter is resolved, he should refrain from submitting a Declaration of Candidacy."

At this, Mal seemed perturbed, but she said nothing else. She disappeared into the house, slamming the door behind her. Mr. Distefano glanced at the eleven other individual members of the Council of Overlay Affairs and their security personnel standing in the gusty rain. He twirled a finger in the air, signaling they should wrap it up and leave. "Waste of my damn time," someone muttered.

A straggling council member stepped forward. A wide umbrella shielded her elegantly coiffed hair and face from the storm. "Detective Tegan Stoney?" She looked up.

"Yes?" Tegan greeted her.

"I'm Farida Ravani. Thank you for your loyalty to my son," she replied in a clipped British accent. I lifted a brow in surprise. Zyr's mother could easily pass for someone half her age. Tegan gawked as she shook hands with her. "I've heard such great things about you, Detective."

"I wish I could say the same, Mrs. Ravani, but Zyr has always been secretive about his family."

"I'm sure, in these trying times, there was only so much he could say. But I know you're the reason his position was reinstated, and the internal investigation dropped on the human side," said Mrs. Ravani. "I also know I owe you a debt of gratitude for getting me released from house arrest."