3 - Black Jacket

I curl up in a tighter ball in the hospital chair of the waiting room. I've been falling in and out of sleep ever since the nurse told me I wasn't allowed to stay in Isaac's room all night. Scott stayed by my side all night and even let me fall asleep on his shoulder for half an hour. I desperately pull my jacket around me tighter. My jacket is no match for the chilly temperatures in the hospital. Something heavy and warm drapes over my body. With my eyes still shut, I grab part of whatever it is and tuck it under my chin. 

   The scent floats to my nose and I instantly recognize it as Scott's. Is this his jacket? Something warm presses against my forehead for a few seconds, like someone just kissed my forehead. The only person to ever do that is Isaac. It obviously can't be him. Did Scott just do that? Why would he do that?

   "Keep an eye on her please." Scott's voice floats to my eyes from a little bit away. 

   "Of course, sweetheart." Mrs. McCall? "Are you headed to school?" 

   "Yeah. I don't want to miss the first day. I told you I was going to be different this year and I meant it. I don't like leaving her here, but-" 

   "She'll be okay. I'll watch over her."

   "Thank you."

X

   A warm hand shakes me awake. I blink my eyes a few times, adjusting to the bright lights in the hospital. Mrs. McCall is crouched down at my eye level, all dressed up in her nurse scrubs. She smiles sweetly as I sit up to stretch. Scott's jacket that was keeping me warm falls down to my lap. 

   "Is Isaac okay?" The first question slips out of my lips. 

   Mrs. McCall pushes herself up to sit in the chair next to me. "He's fine. He's just waking up. I thought you might want to see him."

   I nod my head. I grab Scott's black jacket in one hand and smooth down my wild hair with my other hand. It's sticking up all over the place after sleeping on it. Not sure what else to do with Scott's jacket, I pull it on and watch as Mrs. McCall's face light up a litte. 

   "How is that other girl doing?" I ask referring to the girl that seemed to be in the same accident as my brother. No one really knows what had happened. 

   "She's still heavily sedated." Mrs. McCall leads me down the hallway towards his room. Sheriff Stilinski placed a deputy outside of the girl's room because, from what I overheard, she was carrying a military stun gun on her. Mrs. McCall opens the door to Isaac's room to let me walk in first.

   Isaac is partialy sitting up, his eyes already on me. He must have heard us coming. I race forward and hug the top half of his body, careful to avoid where he is hurt. There is no way I am ever letting him out of my sight again. If he wants to go looking for Erica and Boyd then I am coming with him. I can't afford to lose him as well.

   "I'm okay, I'm okay." Isaac whispers in my ear. 

   He's safe. He's back with us. There's nothing to worry about. 

   "How are you feeling, Isaac?" Mrs. McCall quietly shuts the door. She crosses the floor and stands on the other side of the bed. 

   Isaac unravels his arm from my back. "Better. I can feel it healing."

   Mrs. McCall reaches for his gown with gloves on. "May I?"

   He nods and she unbuttons the side of his hospital gown. I stand on my toes to get a better look at the white bandage. Mrs. McCall lifts the bandage up, revealing four long cuts from a werewolf. The cuts themselves are red, but you call tell that they are healing.