8 - Child Locks

We're going to save Boyd and everything will be okay. One of them at least needs to make it out alive. Erica will be missed. I hate to know that she is dead. I took it hard, but I've changed and I can't show too much, not like I used to do. Truth be told, I just wanted to curl up in my bed and cry, but I can't do that. There's too much going on for me to act like that anymore. So, I'm just going to stuff my feelings down, lock them away in my mind. 

   Stiles and Scott took forever to find how to break into the vault. They came over the next morning with a blue print in hand. I didn't sleep at all last night. All I could think about was how Erica died. Did she suffer or was it quick? I was thinking about how I'm never going to see her again. When I heard the front door open around five, I quickly threw on a pair of clothes, ran a brush through my hair, and joined everyone downstairs. I didn't go to school. Isaac and I decided to- well, actually, Isaac decided for us- that we would stay and help Derek. 

        All of their heads snap up as I march down the spiral staircase, stepping around Peter, who is perched on the bottom stairs. I give them a weak smile and walk over to where they have a light shined on top of the table. Stiles whips out some kind of blue print paper from his backpack. I stand near the side of the table, Scott on my right. 

        Scott smiles, eyes searching my face for any sign of sadness. "Hey."

        I force all of the weakness in me away, putting on my tough facade. Except, with Scott, I feel like I don't have to do that. "Hi."

        Stiles slams the paper flat against the table. "Okay. You see this?" He point to a area on the paper. "This is how they got in. It's a rooftop air conditioning vent. Leads down inside into the wall of the vault, which is here." He circles the vault with a red sharpie. "Okay? One of the robbers was lowered into this shaft Now, that space is so small, it took him about 12 hours to drill into that wall, which is stone, by the way. Then throughout the rest of the night, they siphoned the cash up to the guys back on the roof through that one little shaft in the wall. Boom."

        Scott, with both of his hands supporting himself as he leans on the table, addresses his question to Stiles. "Can we fit in there?"

        Stiles nods. "Yes, we can, but very, very barely. And they also patched the wall, obviously, so we're gonna need a drill of some kind. I'm thinking maybe a diamond bit-"

        "Look, forget the drill." Derek gazes down at the blue print.        

        Stiles pounds the air with his fist, turning his head to Derek. "Sorry?"

        "If I go in first, how much space do I have?" Derek asks. 

        Stiles glimpses at all of us, incredously. He moves his head back to Derek, finger tapping on the table. "What do you... what do you think you're gonna do, Derek? You gonna punch through the wall?"

        The two of them straighten up. Stiles, not believing any of this, with his arms down by his side and his back to us. Derek, with an annoyed look on his face and arms crossed. They are both facing each other. 

        "Yes, Stiles, I'm gonna punch through the wall." Derek says with a hint of a smile. He knows that saying that Stiles won't believe him. I know it's true. Derek could punch through the Great Wall of China.

        "Okay, okay, big guy. Let's see it. Let's see that fist. Big, old fist. Make it, come on. Get it out there. Don't be scared." Stiles taunts him until Derek holds his fist up. "Big, bad wolf.Yeah, look at that."

        I press my lips in a thin line, worried. "Stiles, I don't think you should do that."

        Stiles ignores me, grabs ahold of Derek's wrist and holds his another hand about a couple inches away from Derek's fist. "Okay, see this?That's maybe three inches of room to gather enough force to punch through solid co-"