19 - Official

The tv plays downstairs with some romantic comedy movie that Mrs. McCall keeps laughing under her breath over. Isaac is over in his room listening to music. All of us are minding our own businesses. Shutting my eyes, I focus on Scott's bedroom area. Silence. I concentrate harder, assuming that I'm not focused enough. Silence. 

        "Hey." Scott's soft voice comes from my doorway. My eyes flash open and I look up to see Scott in my doorway. "You know, it's not nice to eavesdrop."

        I turn red. "I was just curious to see what everyone was doing."

        Scott walks in my room, smiling. "It's okay."

        I notice he's wearing a jacket. "You're going out?"

        "Yeah, uh," Scott glances down at the his clothes. "Allison is going to take me to see Gerard. We have some questions for him."

        "Oh." I frown.         

        He's going with his ex. That shouldn't bother me. It doesn't bother me. It does, though. I don't want him to go anywhere with her. I don't fully trust her. Allison did hear about how Scott truly feels about me, but I'm kind of worried that she will still try to win him back over.

        Scott sits down on my bed, a few inches away from me. "We need to talk."

        I avoid his gaze as soon as the words leave his mouth. This conversation is inevitable. I know that. I just don't want to talk about it now or ever. 

        Deciding to play dumb, I ask, "About what?"

        Scott's hand slowly creeps towards mine and intertwines our fingers. "I think you know what."

        "I know." I whisper, secretly enjoying the fact that he grabbed my hand. There's just something so great about holding hands with Scott. I just like him being so close. "And, I'm sure you know that I've been trying to avoid this conversation."

        "Do you- Do you not like me? Just tell me and I'll back off." Scott tries to take his hand out of mine. 

        I place my other hand over his to stop him from pulling away. "No, no, I, uh, I do like you." My cheeks flame up. "I just- this whole thing is hard. I've never been through anything like this before and trusting people is hard for me. I've gotten better, I have, but I- You're different. I trusted you so easily and it blows my mind of how I did that. I didn't even realize that I actually did like you and that was those feelings I felt towards you until Isaac pointed it out."

        Scott beams, eyes light up, like he just heard the greatest news ever. "From day one, I've always felt the need to protect you- to keep you safe."

        "You've done a pretty good job so far." I stare at our hands. "How do we do this?" I move my free hand between the two of us. 

        "We'll take it slow." Scott rubs his thumb over my hand. 

        I look up at him through my eyelashes. "Does that mean I'm your girlfriend?"

        "Do you want to be?" 

        "Yeah." I mumble. 

        Scott tilts my chin up for me to look him in the eyes. "Good, because I want to be your boyfriend."

        His fingers gently tug my face closer to his by my chin. My breath hitches in my throat as I realize he wants to kiss me. This is what people do in relationships. They kiss. I can do this. The side of our noses brush up against each others. Eyelids fluttering shut, I become aware of what is going on with my other senses. Thanks to being a hybrid, I can hear how fast Scott's heart is beating, almost mathing my own. He's as nervous as I am.