9 - At Gun Point

I awkwardly sit on the floor while Scott tells Allison the real story behind her mother's death. I have nothing to say to her and Derek left us a few minutes ago because he said he needed to go check something out. Surprisingly, during the story, Allison did send me a guilty look when Scott told her I was in the room with him, slowly dying. Does she feel bad now?

        "She tried killing you...Both of you." Allison calmly speaks. She says that to Scott before looking down at me on the floor. 

        "Uh, yeah, yeah." Scott stares down at the floor. 

        Allison keeps her face blank, only letting a few emotions seep through. "Why didn't you tell me?"

        "I'll tell you everything, okay? I'll tell you a-anything that you want to know, but right now-"

        "Just tell me why." She cuts him off.        

        I peer up at the two of them. Allison looks like she is trying not to cry and Scott looks like a kicked puppy. She nods at him to let him know it's okay. 

        "I-I couldn't. Allison, I couldn't let that be the last memory that you had of her." 

        The sound of Derek walking back over to us captures my attention. I look away from Scott and Allison to see Derek holding Erica's body in his arms. "No." I breathe. My voice must have gained their attention because both of them spin to look at me and then follow my gaze. Tears prick my vision as I slowly bring myself to stand. 

        Erica's body is limp in his arms. Here's the proof that Derek needed. A single tear rolls down my face. I walk over to Derek, eyes locked on my best friend. She's really dead. What am I going to do without her? Derek catches my gaze and I see him attempting to keep his emotions under control. We both lost her. She wasn't just a friend. Erica was family. My chin quivers as multiple tears streams down my cheeks. 

        "Erica?" I reach out to touch her arm. She's cold under my touch. She's lifeless. That's all it takes for me to breakdown inside. Derek looks away from me, his own eyes glistening with tears. "I'm so sorry. You didn't deserve this. I-I'm so sorry." I cover my mouth with my hand as soft sobs come out of me.

        A warm hand touches the small of my back. Turning to the left, I bury myself in Scott's chest, knowing he was the one to comfort me. The thought of knowing he is covered in his own blood is wiped away from my mind as I feel his arms constrict around me. I just want Erica back.

        He yells my name for the third time from behind me. My boots pound against the dead leaves and twigs on the ground. I push myself faster when another scream echoes throughout the woods. I need to get to those little kids before Boyd does. Not too far behind me, I can hear Scott racing through the woods, struggling to catch up with me. 

        After the bank, all of us split ways to find Cora and Boyd before they killed anyone. I tried to go off on my own, but no matter how hard I tried, Scott followed me. We both caught a pretty good scent of Boyd and that's when I heard two little kids screaming. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put the pieces together. 

        I reach a clearing in the trees to find Boyd throwing a shed off to the side with two, little kids standing where they were hiding. A bunch of fireflies fly up from a jar they were captured in and fly around Boyd. With Boyd distracted, I race up to the kids, scoop the little boy up in my arms and reach down for the little girl when Scott lifts her up in his arms. The fireflies start to fly away and the two of us run away before Boyd can notice.