Seventeen

[song recommendation: Red Velvet – Perfect 10]

⠀⠀Jimin shook a bottle of turquoise nail polish in his hand as he and Jungkook were seated on the carpeted floor of Jimin's living room. "So, what's new with you, sis?" Jimin asked, unscrewing the lid of the nail polish. "It's been a hot minute since I last saw you."

⠀⠀The following day, Jungkook had decided to spend his Sunday afternoon with his best friend and break the news to him about his love life. So here they were, soft 90s music playing as Jimin painted Jungkook's toenails for him.

⠀⠀Jungkook went from biting his lips to flash a giddy smile. "Well," Jungkook started while Jimin began stroking the nail polish brush against Jungkook's toe. "Taehyung and I are dating."

⠀⠀Jimin suddenly lost control and jerked his hand, nail polish smearing over the skin of Jungkook's toe. "Shit," Jimin muttered and turned his attention to the younger's face, Jungkook's eyes big. "You what?! My bestie has a man?!" Jimin gasped out, clapping his hands and bouncing on the floor.

⠀⠀"Yeah," Jungkook said shyly and blinked a bit. He felt bad for keeping Jimin out of the loop these past two months about the whole Taehyung situation. This wasn't normal for Jungkook—he told Jimin everything, yet this was the exception. At first, Jungkook didn't want to let Jimin in on everything because he just knew Jimin would've confronted Taehyung. However, now it was as if Jungkook was protecting Taehyung, not wanting Jimin to get the wrong idea. Jungkook knew Taehyung had changed and was remorseful for what he did, and he wasn't going to hold a grudge, but this didn't mean Jimin wouldn't.

⠀⠀"Yeah?! That's all you have to say?! I need details!" Jimin whined. He almost sounded like one of those 'cool' moms trying to live vicariously through their children.

⠀⠀"Okay, okay," Jungkook giggled, and Jimin reached for the nail polish remover to clean off the smeared nail polish on Jungkook's toe while Jungkook continued. "We kind of rekindled our friendship over the past two months, having math together and all, and he apologized for letting us drift apart. As we got closer, he started confessing to me about some things- he had feelings for me back in high school—"

⠀⠀"Oh, my God! Scandalous!" Jimin interrupted and then quirked his eyebrows. "Wait- wasn't Taehyung best friends with Jin?" Jimin's eyes suddenly lit up as he placed this puzzle together. "No way! So they basically fought over you?!"

⠀⠀"I guess you could say that," Jungkook murmured, his fingers playing with the carpet beneath him.

⠀⠀Jimin's eyes were big and wide, similar to Jungkook's bambi eyes. "Wow- having two guys fight over you is—"

⠀⠀"—Heartbreaking," Jungkook said, thinking he was finishing Jimin's sentence for him correctly.

⠀⠀"Oh, I was gonna say it's a fantasy for some people, b-but that too." Jimin deadpanned followed by a light giggle, and Jungkook rolled his eyes because he knew by 'some people' Jimin actually meant himself.

⠀⠀"Someone's projecting I see," Jungkook grumbled.

⠀⠀"And so what if I am." Jimin shrugged and focused on painting Jungkook's other set of toes. Stroking the brush and not glancing up, Jimin asked, "So, when did you two become official?"

⠀⠀"Yesterday," Jungkook answered, and he began thinking about the way Taehyung asked him out and giggled to himself. "You're not gonna believe how he asked me out- oh, my God- it's so corny..." Jungkook gushed, a rosy pink blush heating up his face. "He brought me a pizza, and inside the box was written: 'Be my boyfriend? Or is this too cheesy?'"