①⓪

'SO you don't remember anything from when we were younger?', the older asked areum.

they lay flat on her bed, staring at the ceiling as though they were sleeping on grass, stargazing.

'well... i remember most the time we spent together, you always played by yourself.', areum answered.

the empty space between them grew smaller as dawn neared.

'no, no, no.', jeongguk shook his head tiredly, 'i used to want you to join me, but you always preferred watching me play. somehow you were content just sitting next to me.'

areum and jeongguk both wielded shovels in an attempt to dig up their memories as best as they could.

'your car racing games seemed terribly daunting at the time. i was probably nervous.'

their cycle of breathing synced up and the depth of their voices increased due to their fatigue.

jeongguk deeply chuckled in response, 'i always told you i'd teach you.'

still, they kept on prating.

'i guess i just liked watching you...', areum whispered, turning her head towards jeongguk.

his jaw tensed as he faced her too. they weren't too close but it felt like they were being magnetised.

'i-um, i'm getting my own place soon... you can come over and i could teach you someday.'

their hearts might've swelled up in that moment, but they tried not to acknowledge it.

'i'd like that.'

jeongguk mimicked the simper that areum gave him.

he was about to say something before the younger one let out an audible yawn. she stretched her arms out, elongating herself before she snuggled close to him.

her knees brought up to her chest, her hands balled up near her face, her body touching his as she nuzzled herself into his side.

automatically jeongguk's arm opened out, her head supported by his bicep.

he thought of things.
oh so many things.

like how adorable she was.
like how she didn't care about her appearance the whole night.
like how she was the same baby girl he took a liking to more than ten years ago.

watching her sound asleep, he knew.
he knew he was supposed to leave.
he knew he wasn't supposed to be spending this much time with her.

'i'm so tired... climbing down that pipe is going to be so hard...'

he thought.

'i'll just close my eyes for a moment, i won't cuddle with her, i'll just rest before i have to get up...'

___________________

jeongguk didn't go home.
his mother wondered why he stayed out all night after weeks of complaining about how tired he was.

little did she know, this was the best jeongguk's slept in a long time.

but alas! areum's mother wondered why she wasn't ready for school.

knock, knock, knock.

au. n.

i cannot begin to tell you the amount of respect i have for @stereoids, her work is so MAGNIFICENT
every sentence written makes you evoke so much emotion, that's the kind of writer i want to be someday

she's always so in touch with her readers, always so kind even though her work is something wattpad would pay real money for, yet she doesn't act like it !!

but she obviously doesn't notice me and my big ass crush for her & its ok !!

i shall love from a distance