①③

AREUM stood in front of her mirror. a hundred body insecurities clouding her brain. but she was going to suck it up and go to prom.

the deep red dress zipped all the way up to the hem of the body-con strapless. hair folded and fluffed in an updo, beautifully, with nails and shoes to compliment her attire. a black sheer scarf with fuzzy tassels at the end wrapped around the small of her back and down her forearms, tying her outfit together.

___________________

'areum! joshua's here!', nari eloquently hollered from the hall, sounding more excited than areum herself.

and so areum walked down the stairs to meet her date for the night, clutching onto her purse, her confidence and her comeliness, tightly.

joshua's italian, custom tailored suit and red tie, complemented areum's ensemble as they stood beside each other to take photos.

'i'm glad you came to your senses, asking me to be your date.', joshua said.

'um, we should leave now.', areum walked towards the door, ignoring his comment.

'okay, be safe, honey! call me if you need anything.'

mr. keum sat in the living room, unreservedly inattentive.

'well, aren't you going to say anything?', nari directed at her husband.

mr. keum looked up at the three of them through his silver-rimmed spectacles.

'no.', he shook his head.

'okay, then,', nari cursed at him in her head, 'i'll say it for him.'

'don't come back too late, don't do drugs and only drink the punch after someone's tried it first.'

'don't worry, nari, i'll keep an eye on them.', said jeongguk.

yes, jeongguk.
who leaned against his car, arms folded across his broad chest. his biceps pushed at the tight fabric of his navy suit.

oh, you've got to be kidding me.
areum fumed.

'josh, let's go.', areum says.

'i'm driving you two. so get in.'

'who are you?', joshua questioned.

'jeongguk.', he says, as if it's the most obvious thing on the planet.

'we're going in joshua's car.', areum dictated.

'if he wants, he can, but you're coming with me.', jeongguk ordered.

he stood there, holding the passenger's door of his mustang open.

joshua walks to jeongguk's car, 'i'm not leaving you alone, areum.', he says trying to get into jeongguk's car.

'i didn't open the door for you, idiot. get in the back.', jeongguk growls.

areum scoffed, stomping her way to the car.

'i can do it myself.', she snarls, shutting the car door.

jeongguk smiles to himself, finding areum absolutely adorable when she throws a tantrum.

joshua sits back in his seat, observing areum glower at jeongguk the entire time. he then fishes for a box from his pocket, presenting it to her.

jeongguk glances at the box, scoffing at its contents.

'carnations', he mumbles, 'what a douche.'

areum slapped the side of his arm, her fingers stinging a little because of his hard muscle.

'i love the corsage, thank you.'

joshua, having a superiority complex, feels better at areum's praise.

'it's scarlet just like you asked.'

areum smiled gently in approval.

after twenty minutes of eye rolling and glaring, the three stopped in the high school parking lot.

'not too fast.', jeongguk says, stopping the couple midway in their escape run.

they turn around, clearly agitated with him.

'you can go ahead, spiv, i just want to talk to your girl.'

joshua looks at areum when she nods in assurance, muttering something for only him to hear.

courageously, areum stands tall, facing her opponent on the other side of the car.

'you have your entire life to be a jerk and you had to pick today?', she raged.

'you had a boyfriend the entire time we were together.', jeongguk whispers.

'news flash, we aren't together! and neither is joshua and i! i'm just with him because i didn't want to go to prom alone.'

'you're right, we're nothing but friends who fuck. i should've just let him take you in his car.', jeongguk says with no emotion.

double entendre.

areum was about to open her mouth to object but jeongguk cuts her off.

'catch.'

was all he said, before gently throwing her a box of his own.

areum fumbled with it, carefully opening it to check inside.

a posy of velvet black petunias cradling a single small blood-red dahlia was attached to a silk black ribbon.

she gasped as it matched her perfectly.
but she couldn't wear it, as there was no one to tie it.

jeongguk had already left.

au. n.
is it just me
or does everyone on wattpad
already have a friend??
and im just sitting here with an empty inbox just coming to write while y'all mingling—