Chapter 8

Jay sat at the dinner table with his parents, spinning the steaming pasta around his plate with a fork in an effort to cool it down.

"Hey mom is it ok if I stay at a friends house for the weekend." He asked, looking up at his mother and shoving a strand of noodles into his mouth, using his right hand due to the pain in his left shoulder from the wound. He hoped his parents didn't notice the sudden change from him not using his dominate hand.

"Is it Coles house?" Jays father spoke up, a hint of judgement in his voice and a flat expression on his face. Jay let out a gasped breath as the noodles burned his tongue. He took a moment to recover before speaking.

"Yeah?" Jay said, looking curiously over at his Dad.

His father couldn't resist it anymore and cracked a smile. "You two are inseperatable." He chuckled shaking his head.

"It's adorable." She added.

"Mom!" Jay whined. As high schoolers and ninja the last thing they wanted was to be called adorable.

His mother smiled a gave him a 'I said what I said' look. "When are you leaving?" She asked, taking a bite of her pasta.

"Tonight." Jay answered. Once they had finished dinner Jay stood up and put his dishes in the sink.

"Have fun." His parents said as he headed to his room to pack.

"Thanks, dinner was great." Jay smiled as he retreated to his room.

Jay grabbed a black duffel bag and started filling it with needed supplies for the sleepover. Once he was done he swung it over his shoulder

------

Coles pov

It was 6:52 and everyone but Jay was here. We were all in my basement, blow up beds and sleeping bags were already set up.

"So let's have some confrontation while we're here." Kai spoke up from his cross legged spot on the couch. I was seated on the floor in front of the couch, Lloyd was at the side of the couch and Nya and Zane were sitting on an air mattress.

"What are you talking about?" I chuckled in confusion, raising my eyebrow at the all too serious looking Kai.

"Kai.." Lloyd spoke warningly, casting his stare at the spikey haired boy.

"Do you-" Kai started, putting his hands together and pointing them towards me.

"Have a crush on Jay?" Kai finished his sentence. The others seemed to be annoyed at Kai's persistence but also curious to what I'd say.

"What?! No!" I instinctively say, yelling a bit too loudly then I meant to.

"He's blushing! He does!" Kai teased sitting back and pointing a finger at my face.

"No I'm not!" I cover my face with my hands which earned more laughter from Kai.

Nya shot a glare at her brother."Hey don't be mean. It's ok if you do, none of us will judge you." She looked over to me with a caring smile, hoping up onto the couch in front of me beside Kai.

"Yeah just admit you think Jays cute!-" Kai yelled before Nya punched him in the shoulder.

Was it a crush? To be honest I had never thought about it that way. I wanted to hang out with him all the time, and maybe we were closer then friends should be. But perhaps I never thought of Jay as a crush, because he was more then that, he meant more then a silly teenager word. Or maybe I had never thought of the possibility due to wanting to keep my heart in tact. Jay obviously liked Nya and mentally throwing myself at Jay would be disastrous.

"Well.. maybe. But he loves Nya." I shrug with a frown.

"What?" Nya looked confusingly at me.

"Are you blind? He so obviously does." Kai blurted out before giving me an apologetic glance.

"You mean a crush. Loving someone is much more different. More real." Nya corrected.

I was silent. I still didn't exactly know the difference but I decided not to push her about her knowledge right now.

"Ahh Cole likes Jay!" Kai squealed loudly, flinging his arms up before losing his balance and falling off the couch with a thud.

"We need to make a plan!" He announced, sitting up from the floor.

"Kai no." Nya sighed, seeing the devilish look in her brothers eyes.

"To get you guys together." Kai smiled, pressing his hands together.

"Please don't." I said plainly.

"Sorry you have no choice bud." Kai shrugged. I groan and roll my eyes at him, mentally preparing myself for whatever evil plans he would come up with.

An hour had pasted and still no sign of Jay.
"Ugh when's Jay getting here!?" Kai whined, hanging upside down on the couch.

"Yeah.." I muttered. The thought of Jay running into trouble and being hurt rushed through my mind and I gripped the end of my shirt trying to ignore it.

"Aww are you worrying about him?" Lloyd had gotten into the teasing now and both Nya and him smiled at me. Before I could answer I heard the sound of someone running down the basement stairs.

"I'm here!" Jay announced, looking disheveled with his bag swung over one shoulder and his cheeks flush. He walked over to where we were and dropped his bag to the floor before sitting beside me.

"Sorry I'm late I had to bike and there was construction so I had to take a long route cause they wouldn't just let me pass-" Jay ranted, an annoyed expression on his face.

"It's no problem Jay." I assure him.

"Now let's play truth or dare." Kai shouted, to which Lloyd groaned and Jay smiled.

"Ok! I'll go first. Kai truth or dare?" Jay spoke before Kai could target me.

"Dare." Kai smirked, a determined look in his eyes.