Chapter 23

Cole stood at the arcade game that sat in the warehouse the ninja trained at. He mashed at the buttons, his eyes focused on the screen as Jay stood behind him- on his tippy toes so he could look over Coles shoulder.  "Hey.. you wanna have dinner with my parents tonight?" Jay spoke up tentatively.

"-d-dinner?" Cole glanced over his shoulder at Jay, letting his hands fall off the machine. The two boys paused for a moment, both of them staying silent until Jay spoke up.

"It's not any pressure! We don't have to tell them we're dating-" Jay shot out panicky, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything." He mumbled. Cole stared at his boyfriend, a million thoughts going through his head. Cole had no reason to worry about Jays parents, hell Jay had already come out to his parents and it turned out fine. So why was he so nervous about coming out?

"Jay wait.. I'm just.. I don't know.." Cole sighed, realizing he didn't really know how to put into words how he was feeling. Jay picked up what he meant pretty quickly though.

"I get it." Jay nodded, not being able to help the disappointment that fell on his face. Cole hated this. He hated making Jay feel bad just because he couldn't come to grips with his own issues.

"... I'll be there at five." Cole spoke up.

—-

As Cole raced down his stairs-already late for the dinner- he locked his feet in place, skidding to a halt and stoping before he slammed into his father who he had just noticed was waiting at the end of the staircase for him. "Dad." Cole greeted awkwardly, trying to brush past the fact that if his reaction time was even a millisecond slower he would have knocked his father down right then and there.

"Cole where you running off to?" Coles father asked, the calm monotone voice he often had coated his words.

"Jays house." Cole answered with a slight hesitation.

"You're with him a lot."

"And?" Cole raises an eyebrow at his dad.

"It'd just be nice to see you with a girl for once-"

"Dad!"

"How about that one girl. With the bike."

"Nya. She's... not single." Cole had no idea if nya was single- or even if she was straight, Nya wasn't the type to share a lot to the group. But did it really matter?

"It's just strange you haven't got a girlfriend yet. You're good looking, a dancer-"

"I have to go dad." He mumbled, starting to get annoyed.

"That reminds me.. Cole.. have you not been attending your dance classes?" Cole froze. That was it, the conversation he was dreading.

"Uh.. I may have missed a few ever so often..." Cole mumbled, looking down.

"Don't lie to me Cole." His tone was soft but strict.

"Dad I hate them-" Cole started.

Lou put a hand to his temple. "Why are you like this Cole? It's like you're trying to disappoint me on purpose." He sighed.

Cole rolled his eyes, he was practically used to this at this point. "I'm leaving." He stated, walking past him.

"We're talking about this when you get home!" Lou called out as Cole walked out the door.

—-

"Heyyyy moms freting over dinner, you like pasta with chicken right?" Jay asked as he opened the door for Cole. Cole looked a bit out of it, a confused expression on his face before he blinked it away, letting out a chuckle.

"You can give me anything and I'll eat it." Cole joked. Jay then turned his head and yelled over his shoulder

"Told you mum! He says he's fine with it!" Jay turned back to Cole and flashed him a smile.

"Sorry, uh.. come on in." Jay stepped back, letting Cole enter his home.

"I didn't tell them about us, so its up to you if they know." Jay told Cole in a whisper. That comment hit Cole kinda weird. It made him feel bad, making Jay keep this kinda thing from his parents. Cole glanced over at Jays parents who had smiled on their faces.

"Cole! It's nice to see Jays best friend again!" Ed greeting, giving Cole a handshake. There it was, that word. Best friend. It was a word that used to upset Cole so much, the fact he was only a friend to Jay.

"Boyfriend now actually." Cole spoke up. He was tired of feeling like he needed to hide things. Jay looked over at Cole surprised, flashing him a bright smile. Jays parents stood frozen for a moment.

"Jay! Why didn't you tell us sooner?!" His mom squealed,

"Mmooomm!" Jay whined, knowing she was going to blow this all out of proportion.

"Ed our little Jay finally isn't single!" She teased. Jay pouted as Cole chuckled.