Chapter 1

Normally when you get engaged, it's a happy moment in your life. You get to enjoy the fact that you've agreed to spend the rest of your life with the love of your life. You get to start thinking about what your wedding will be like. You get to live in the bubble that was created out of happiness.

But not Luca and I.

No, we don't get the time to even comprehend anything like that before a bomb dropped that has put a massive dent in everything we thought would be fine. Instead, we're backtracking the steps we took only moments prior and are now heading back to Luca's work office to deal with an issue that we all know won't be going away any time soon.

Luca's grip on both my hand and my waist never loosens during the lift ride back up to the floor his company is based on. Even as we walk out the lift when it gets to his floor and the walk along to Luca's office, his hold never once relaxes. If anything, it only tightens and I welcome it as a way of keeping me focused on where I'm going and not trying to get another look at his ex.

I can see Trent beginning to pack his things up to leave as we get nearer Luca's office. He's just slung the strap of his black leather messenger brief bag over one shoulder and moved from the desk before his eyes settle on the oncoming group of people. He stares for a second before retracing his steps to open Luca's office door for us, dumping his bag on the floor quickly so he looks somewhat professional.

"Call my father and get him and my lawyers here as soon as possible," Luca quietly instructs to Trent who just nods as we pass by him.

Stepping into the quiet office, Luca presses a lingering kiss to the side of my head before finally letting me go so I can have a seat at his desk. I make a move to sit on one of the chairs in front of the desk but with a small push on the base of my back from Jones, I'm guided round to the other side of the desk and settled into Luca's plush leather chair. I place my bag on the floor as Luca comes to stand behind me, a single hand falling onto the back of the chair as we wait for the office door to close over after everyone has come into the office.

My hands clasp together and I take a deep breath before raising my gaze to look at Nadia. She's standing in front of us in between Carlo and Jones who are standing just behind her, both with their hands clasped firmly behind their backs. Through the gap between Carlo, who is standing to the left, and Nadia, I can see Trent quickly take a seat at his desk with the phone pressed firmly to his ear. He looks through the glass window, a worried look clearly plastered over his face. His lips begin to move and I know he's gotten a hold of Nick who will be here before we know it.

I look back to Nadia who smiles smugly at me.

"Kaylee," she starts.

Just the way she says my name has my skin crawling with disgust. My body rests back against the back of the chair, causing Luca's hand to fall onto my shoulder which he squeezes as a way to comfort me.

"Don't speak to her," Luca says sternly.

Nadia's gaze doesn't lift from mine at the sound of Luca's voice. I want to look away from her and up to Luca but I can't bring myself to do so. Just like what happened when I first met Louisa, I'm captivated by her pale blue eyes that are almost as pale as ice. Ice blue eyes to match her ice-cold heart.

"I would say I'm happy that you've found your way back to Luca but I'm not," she continues.

"I said don't talk to her," Luca repeats but it goes unheard.

"I always knew he would get you back. Even when we were together, it was always you who was at the forefront of his mind regardless of the situation. I knew I was never going to be enough for him when all he cared about was his darling Kaylee."