Chapter 9

I can't stop yawning as I walk down the stairs of Luca's London home the next morning. After a long flight that landed here in London late on last night, I was only fit for my bed by the time we made it to here. Even though it's eight thirty in the morning and I slept for a total of five hours when I finally got settled, it feels like I've only slept for an hour at most.

It's weird being here without Luca. Every time I've been here, I've had him to talk to or to go to if I needed help finding something or help on how to work certain things. Now I'm here alone – or as alone as can be with cleaners and some of Luca's staff walking around.

Stretching my arms above my head and walking down the remainder of the steps to the ground floor, I'm greeted at the bottom by a blonde haired woman. I recognise her face from the first time I ever came here. She was the woman who came out of Luca's office and took Allison to a different room while I spoke to Luca in his office. I've never gotten her name and I know that's about to change with the way she's looking at me.

"Your morning coffee, Miss. Fletcher." She holds out a white and blue travel cup for me while smiling brightly. "My name is Lyla, Mr. Maddens caretaker as well as his UK assistant."

I take the offered travel cup. "I thought Trent was his only assistant."

"Trent is his main assistant," she verifies. "I help tend to things here and make sure everything is in working order for him at this side of the world. If things are urgent here, I contact him and he's here within a day to sort them."

"I . . . see."

"I know it may seem strange but Mr. Madden is a very busy man. He can't be everywhere at once. Trent deals with the majority of his workload and for your time here, I will be assisting you in whatever you need. All you have to do is ask."

"Fair enough." I nod and take a sip of coffee. "Did you make this?"

"Mr. Madden gave me a list of the things you like and dislike. One of which is how you take your coffee. Is it okay?"

"It's just how I like it, thank you." I smile.

Lyla walks away from me only to return with a set of car keys in one hand. She holds them out for me to take. "Mr. Madden has also insisted that you use his car for your time here."

I take the car keys and narrow my eyes at the Audi logo I see.

"But isn't that why Jones is here?" I ask.

"He'll be following you closely and will keep his distance unless the situation calls for him to intervene," she answers. She beckons me to follow her to the front door and I do so while drinking my morning coffee. "Your sister called this morning to make sure you knew that your parents were expecting you at their house for ten o'clock."

She hands me my dark blue quilted coat to put on along with my black ankle boots. I give her my travel cup and the car keys to hold then get ready to leave.

"I will give you a warning beforehand to be careful with this car," Lyla notifies, handing me the car keys and travel cup back. "Mr. Madden loves this car."

"He loves all his cars," I remark.

She raises a single brow at my comment but doesn't respond to it.

We walk outside and down the steps to the car that's sitting parked up in front of Jones' car. I stop walking and point to it.

"The Q5? Luca is trusting me with his Q5?" I gasp.

I can't say I'm surprised that he wants me to drive his Q5 because it is more appropriate for me to drive than any of the other cars he has. Granted, I don't know what other cars he does have here but this would unquestionably be my first choice to drive if I was given the chance.