Chapter 18

My hands are sweating as they rest on my bag that's on my lap. It's not even me on the stand and yet, I feel like it is. Jane was the first of the two of us to be called to the stand and so far, I've witnessed Calvin question her the exact same way he questioned me but not as forceful. The answers she gave were given with confidence, knowledge and grace.

She is only halfway through of being cross-examined by Nadia's lawyer, Bill Artwell, when her untouchable demeanour shows a crack.

"Mrs. Madden, why did you really want Mrs. Bailey to do a session with you? I somehow doubt that it was because you cared for her and her well-being after she gave birth to your granddaughter."

"I've already told you the answer to that question. It's up to you if you wish to believe it or not," Jane tells him, her shoulders rising and falling on a shrug.

"Are you trying to tell me that if I don't like your answer, I should just learn to live with it?"

"No, I'm not. I merely said-"

"Because I won't learn to just 'live with it'. I know you're lying, Mrs. Madden. I know you are. Your lawyers know you are and you know you are."

"Mr. Artwell, if you wish to believe that, that is up to you. But if you think of the answers I have given, what-"

"I'm the one giving out the questions, Mrs. Madden. You have to answer them. That is your job."

"I'd suggest you take that comment back, Mr. Artwell, because you have seemingly forgotten what my actual job is. I have a status that is way above your pay grade and it would do you well to remember that."

Jane smirks and Mr. Artwell stares at her. She stares him down until he walks away from her with a scoff.

"Your Honour, please let the record be known that Mrs. Madden is trying to use the tactics she uses at her job to get away with the fact that she never truly accepted Mrs. Bailey as her son's girlfriend when they were together."

"That is untrue," Jane defends loudly. "I did everything to accept her as my son's girlfriend but it's hard to do so when she always dresses like a slut!"

There are gasps from those watching the proceedings as well as the jurors, and Jane hangs her head in shame. She covers her face with a hand and shakes her head. She knows she's blown her calm exterior – big time.

"No further questions, Your Honour."

The judge nods. "You may go back to your seat, Mrs. Madden."

Jane gets to her feet and walks back to where Nick is sitting a seat away from me. She's muttering things under her breath that I can't understand but I know she's cursing at herself for failing. She'll think she's failed not only herself but her son.

"Mr. Kirkland, do you wish to take a break or call your next witness?" The judge asks.

"We would like to call our next witness, Your Honour." Calvin answers, after checking with Giles and Degory if that's what they wish to do.

"Very well."

Calvin gets to his feet. "Your honour, we would like to call Miss. Kaylee Fletcher to the stand."

My eyes widen and I nod to myself.

Here goes nothing.

I get up from where I'm sitting between Jane and Jade. Jade takes my bag and holds it on her lap and flashes me a tight smile. Jane reaches out for my hand and gives it a tight squeeze, making me wince at the power behind it. I pull at the sides of my coat and walk to the stand. I catch Nadia's eye as I walk past her and she makes an inaudible noise that I know is her way of telling me that she thinks she's winning.