Chapter 4

Everyone loves the mornings where everything is great. There's nothing out of the norm and you're happy. Everything is going to plan up until the point where you receive a piece of news that has your happiness going head first down a dark hole you have no idea where or if there's a bottom to it.

That was my morning and one that effected not just myself but Luca, too. The news that I knew was coming but not this soon. The news I was starting to dread hearing and was hoping not to hear. And that was that meeting one of many with Mrs. Nadia Bailey had been arranged at the offices of Bailey Tech for midday today.

So it's not surprising to me that Luca's hold on my hand is like a vice as Carlo drives us to Bailey Tech just before midday on Wednesday. I don't think I'm that nervous but I could be wrong. I have a feeling of trepidation running through my veins because I don't know how Nadia is going to react to me after last night.

It's not even been twenty-four hours since Jade threw a drink at her and for all I'm not the one who did it, it doesn't mean that Nadia is going to let me get away with what happened. She may or may not see Jade again but the fact that she gets to see me less than twenty-four hours after the incident, I'm the easy target.

The only good thing about this whole meeting is the fact that I will be with Oscar and my boss, Jackie. I will just have to inform Oscar of the situation before we enter the meeting room so he knows what he's walking in to. Plus, if things don't go well and Nadia tries taking her anger at Jade out on me, Jackie will stand in and calm the situation down. She takes no shit from anyone and the same will apply to Nadia irrespective of what her surname is now.

"We're here, Miss. Fletcher." Carlo announces, coming to a stop outside the entrance to the building that is home to Bailey Tech.

The street number of 1350 is clearly visible on the glass and steel building that towers so easily over neighbouring buildings. Smartly dressed people are coming and going from the building, one of which is Oscar who comes to a stop near the entrance while holding his phone to his ear. I smile out of relief for the fact that I won't be walking into the building on my own.

I make a move to get out the car when Carlo exits the car and opens the door next to me but Luca doesn't let go of my hand. I look at him, almost expecting him to be looking at me but he's not. He's staring down at our clasped hands, a finger delicately running over my knuckles.

"I don't like the idea of you going in there without at least Jones being close by," he says quietly.

My head tilts to the side and I look at our clasped hands. "And I don't want to go in there at all but I need to. It's my job."

"Neither of us know what she's going to do and that's what's worrying me."

I squeeze his hand tightly, causing him to look at me. "I'll be fine. Jackie and Oscar are both there so it's not like I'm completely alone with her."

"If she says anything, and I mean anything, that is either off-topic or that makes you feel uncomfortable, promise me that you'll walk out and call Jones."

I sigh heavily. "Luca . . ."

He shakes his head and continues like I didn't interrupt him. "He's not too far away from here. He'll pick you up and get you as far away from here as soon as possible."

"Luca . . ."

"I mean it, Kaylee." He says firmly. His eyes move frantically over my face. "Promise me."

I stare at him long and hard before nodding. "I promise."

"Alright," he nods.

I lean in closer to him and kiss him briefly. "Love you."