Chapter 16

Having to recall everything that happened in the accident for the police the next day has all the flashbacks coming back to me. I don't miss a beat and explain everything to them from the moment we left my grandparent's house to what I can recall before passing out when Jones told me the ambulance was close to the scene. It hurt more recalling everything than it did on the day because everything seems like it just happened.

I can see it that clearly and I think it will take a while for the images and sounds to leave me.

"If there's anything else, you can call us. We'll be in touch if we hear anything," I hear the female officer tell Luca as he shows them out the house.

"Thank you, officer."

The front door closes and I glance over at Luca who stands at the threshold of the living room. He runs a hand through his hair and sighs heavily.

"I'll get Lyla to pack some things for you for travelling. We leave within the next hour for New York," he states before walking away.

I nod and turn my gaze to the fireplace that was put on earlier because I was feeling it colder than usual in the house. Everyone in the house said I was being ridiculous for wanting the fire on but I felt cold and to be honest, it's helped me feel a lot more relaxed.

I snuggle further into the chair and relax for a little bit before I need to get up and move around. I pull at the sleeves of Luca's hoodie I'm wearing so they cover my hands and I stare at my engagement ring that catches on the left sleeve.

The light catches the diamonds at the right angels as I flex the fingers of my left hand. I straighten my fingers right out then clench them into a fist. I repeat the process for a couple of minutes then do the same with my right hand. My fingers hurt ever so slightly at the movements but when I flex my wrists, they crack and I stop moving them.

"You okay?" Luca asks, walking back into the living room, a concerned look on his face.

I nod. "My hands and wrists are just sore today."

"When have you to take your next set of pain killers?"

"Not for another couple of hours."

"Alright." He holds my phone out to me. "Your assistant wants to talk to you."

I take the phone and hold it to my ear. "Hi, Julia."

I rest my head back on the chair, listening to my assistant while watching Luca give out instructions to everyone that's now standing near the front door.

"Hi, Kaylee. Listen, I know it's Sunday and you're not scheduled to be in your office here for another couple of weeks but this can't wait."

"Alright. What is it?"

"Have you heard from either Jackie or Oscar recently? I know they're in New York with you but have you seen them at all this week? Everyone here has been trying to contact them but they're not answering any of their emails or phone calls."

I frown. "The last I heard was that they were off with suspected food poisoning but I've had to pull out of that event due to personal reasons."

"I see." There's a long pause before she speaks again. "Have you at least spoken to either of them this week?"

"Not this week, no."

"Can you try and contact or them? There's things happening here that they really need to oversee. Things have to be signed off and payments have to be looked over. Mainly by Jackie."

Luca walks back into the living room and places a pair of Converse down on the floor next to my feet. He points to them then to his watch, silently telling me that we need to go. I raise my brows at him and nod slowly.