chapter eight

"Hey, Claire." Zach answered his phone, one that Alison hadn't even heard ring. She looked over with a confused expression on her face before realizing the boy had a blue cased phone pressed to his ear.

     Alison could hear her best friend's frantic voice through the phone, but couldn't understand what she was saying.

     "Is everything okay?" Alison asked, meeting Gray's eyes. The younger boy shrugged in response.

    "I-I can't really hear you. We're in the hamster ball." Zach said into his phone, Alison shaking her head at the nickname. "Hello?"

     Zach pulled the phone away from his ear, looked at the screen, before putting it back up to his ear. His eyebrows knitted together as he hung up the device.

     "What was that about?" Alison asked. "Does she know we didn't go back?" The girl grew worried, wanting to know why the ride was closed and why Claire had called.

     "No, everything's fine." Zach replied, oblivious to the concerned Alison and Gray that sat on either side of him.

     "I think we should go back." The younger boy mumbled, Alison adding in that she agreed. There must be a good reason the attraction is closed.

     "What happened here?" Zach steered the Gyrosphere over to a broken gate that looked like something big had ran through it, creating a pathway between the valley and the jungle. "Dude.
Off-road." He looked over at Gray, then Alison.

     "No, Zach. We need to go back." Alison told him, knowing that nothing good would come from his off-road idea.

     "They told us to go back." Alison's nervousness was making Gray nervous, leading to the two agree with each other about going back to the Gyrosphere dock.

     "I'm just worried you're not getting the full Jurassic World experience." Zach explained, trying to convince his little brother that this was a good idea. He started driving into the jungle before Alison or Gray could protest any longer.

     Alison looked around at her surroundings, not being able to sit still. Zach put a hand on her bouncing knee to try and calm her down, but also the sound of her boot hitting the floor of the Gyrosphere was growing annoying. The girl's knee froze as she looked down at Zach's hand, he quickly pulling it away.

     "Sorry." The boy muttered, his gaze fixed straight ahead.

     "No, no. Bad idea. Bad idea." Gray hadn't noticed the interaction between the two teenagers as he tried—and failed—to contain his nerves.

     "Great idea." Zach argued as he steered the Gyrosphere down the dirt path, approaching a small clearing in the jungle.

     "No! We're gonna get arrested. They'll shave our heads, and we're gonna have to make root beer in the toilet." Gray rambled, both Zach and Alison looking over at him.

     "What are you talking about?"

     "I would not look good with a shaved head." Alison mumbled, reaching up to touch her brunette hair.

     "There. You see? I told you. You're welcome. Up close and personal with four dinosauruses." Zach changed the conversation as four large dinosaurs with small heads and dozens of spikes running down their backs came into view.

     "Ankylosaurus. We shouldn't be here. And there's five dinosaurs." Gray classified the dinos in front of him like it was easier than breathing.

     "Aren't you supposed to be a genius or something? Look. One, two, three, four." Zach pointed at all the Ankylosauruses.

     "Zach, he's right. There's...oh shi—"

     "Five." Gray pointed at the front of the Gyrosphere, all three of its passengers turning in their seats. An ear splitting roar from the newest addition to Jurassic World filled the air, fear spreading like wildfire throughout Zach, Gray, and Alison.

     "Holy shit." Alison and Zach said in unison as the large, white, and scaly Indominus Rex ran over the Gyrosphere, attacking one of the Ankylosauruses.

     "Drive! Drive, go!" Gray screams, terrified out of his mind. Zach fumbled for the control stick of the Gyrosphere, his hands sweaty and his brain forgetting how to function for a split second.

     Just as Zach's fingers found the control stick, the Gyrosphere was knocked to the side by the large hybrid dinosaur. Alison was too shocked to do anything, this being the first time she's seen the Indominus in it's full glory.

     Alison had been one of the first people to see the asset, besides the scientists. Claire showed Alison the dinosaur when it was just a baby, fresh out of the lab and settled in it's containment.

     The trio watched in fear as a fight unravelled between the herbivore and hybrid, the Ankylosaurus standing it's ground against her enemy. A roar bellowed out of the Ankylosaurus, before a roar from the Indominus drowned out the smaller dinosaur.

     Alison squeezed her eyes shut, concentrating on trying to get into the mind of the Ankylosaurus. Safe, safe, safe. She yelled in her head, the herbivore looking over at the Gyrosphere for a brief moment.

     To Alison's surprise, her message worked...sort of. The Ankylosaurus swung her tail at the Gyrosphere, knocking it out of harm's way, but managed to flip it over. It didn't take long for Alison's head to fill with blood, giving her a feeling like she was going to pass out.

     The trio in the Gyrosphere cringed in sync as the Indominus snapped the neck of the Ankylosaurus, killing the dino that managed to put up a good fight.

     "We're safe in here, right?" Gray mumbled, watching as the Indominus got off of her victim, standing up straight again.

     Alison was breathing heavily, her heart beat loud in her ears. She nodded in response, not wanting to move to fast and catch the attention of the hybrid.

     "Yeah." Zach panted out. It was safe to say the boy regretted his off-road idea. "Totally safe. You okay, Alison?"

     "Never been better. I do this in my free time." She replied sarcastically, making a mental note to yell at Zach later for bringing her into the mess.