George Weasley - Broken Families, Healing Memories

A/N: So @Dragonheart6677 asked me to do a story about the healing process after Fred died close to a year ago. I had this story finished on my document a month after they requested it, but the thing stopping me from posting was that it wasn't edited by someone other than me. When it ended up never being edited, I forgot about it and never did anything with the draft. But, I did promise to make the story, and I also didn't want the request to be unresolved. So here's the story that should've been posted a year ago.

Tears, tears, and more tears were all I could see. How could I not feel like a hole had been punctured in my soul, never to be filled? How could I not feel like my heart broke into pieces, never to be put together? How could I remember how to smile, to laugh, to joke again after everything that happened?

I couldn't. I had lost my family. All that was left was my mother and my cousin. My dear, orphaned cousin. The pain wouldn't stop, it was tearing my heart apart. I didn't want to look at them, but I couldn't bring myself to look away. I couldn't make myself believe this was real. They had gotten married only a few months before, this wasn't what was supposed to happen.

But it did, whether I wanted to believe it or not. Reality would hit me soon, and when it did, I didn't want to be in the sight of so many eyes. I left the Great Hall, hoping to find solace somewhere if that was even possible now. Words could not explain the pain I felt. I wanted to run back to her, to my sister who I had hugged every time before an Auror mission, telling her not to die and to stay out of danger because I couldn't save her. It was only cruel irony that when I fought side by side with her, when I had the chance to save her, I couldn't.

"Tonks," a voice spoke. I didn't want to look up. Dora always wanted to be called Tonks, not her name Nymphadora, and I developed the habit from her. But now it hurt too.

"Please, just leave me be," I begged, my voice wispy. I felt weak, like a breeze could blow me away. I refused to look at the person in front of me.

Pause, "I'm sorry about Tonks, and Remus."

"Stop, please just go away." I raised my head and was graced with the boy who lived, who looked like he wanted to say more. His eyes were lighted with concern. I didn't know him well. In fact, my only interactions with him were when I was with Fred and George.

George. He lost his twin. I lost my friend and family. Each of them took a piece of me I can't recover. Memories were now broken into shards of lethal glass. I wanted to scream and wail. But not in front of Harry; he was just an acquaintance.

"Harry, I appreciate your sympathy," my voice was breaking, quivering, like every part of me. No more, no more, no more. "But I really want to be alone. I know you're Teddy's Godfather, but we can figure things out later, not now. Not here." Tears. More tears were streaming. They were never-ending. There would be no saving me from this, no hero that I dreamed, no Prince Charming, only me and my sorrow, and the time that passed by.

My feet seemed to lead me to the Hufflepuff common room, the place I had once called home. I didn't want to go in, I didn't want to be reminded of a world where my sister existed no more. The memories were too painful. But I still walked in, like a true masochist. In the common room, the warmth was still contained. The caring of the Hufflepuffs showing through their living space. Even after the war, somehow the blanket-like feeling still existed, enveloping me like a family member who came back.

I don't know what I'm doing, I don't know what I want, but what I do know is I'm suddenly lethargic, and I want to sleep. Maybe I assumed sleep will help me escape from this cruel reality where I lost more than friends, but family. I laid down on the fluffy sofa, and squeezed my eyes shut. Maybe I could will myself back to the past as well.