Chapter 2

I woke with a yawn and heard gunfire downstairs. Looking out the window revealed the other three already awake and "shooting it up" as Dempsey would say. I looked at the American, studying his movements with precision. How graceful he seemed, the dashing grin on his tempting lips, the way his muscles flexed. I stopped my thoughts there and smacked my head. Graceful, dashing, tempting lips, flexing muscles? What was going on with me? I felt a light blush on my cheeks as I continued watching.

Dempsey must have felt my gaze on him, making him look up and grin at me, acting like a complete idiot. My blush darkened drastically as I watched. Why was he acting like a fool?  Then again, he is one.  I sank against the wall and tried to calm the blazing blush that seemed to cover my entire face. It bothered me...infuriated me that I felt like this for the American soldier. I felt so enamored; a feeling that had never before been felt in all my years.

Taking a risk, I peeked out again when the shooting stopped to see Dempsey smiling and getting some Juggernog. These new and strange feelings were making me feel depressed as I slowly accepted them.  The man I had hated for so long is now the man I love.  I can no longer run from that fact.

I had to face everyone sooner or later, not to mention wanting some widow's wine as a change from double tapp. My back protested in pain as I stood up and made my way downstairs to the wonder fizz on stage. As I waited for it to spit out what I hoped to be my desired drink, Dempsey had come and sat down on the stage. I felt his gaze looking me up and down, making me blush lightly once more and feel self conscious.

The widow's wine came out and I took a sip before beginning to walk off the stage. "Ready to kill some freak bags?" I heard Dempsey ask from behind me. I took a quick glance to see his grin before looking at the floor sadly.

"N-not right now," I whispered and slowly made my way down the stage steps. The American was no doubt confused about my behavior. I always enjoyed killing the undead, so it was strange that I didn't want to kill them now.

"Hey, anyone wanna go to the Pack-A-Punch?"

"I do," Takeo and Nikolai replied at the same time. All three looked at me as I walked up the next set of stairs leading back to the lobby. I shook my head before disappearing from sight. When the teleporter cooled down, I could hear their voices echo in the lobby.

"Richtofen's acting strange lately. First he doesn't want to kill zombies, he get's widow's wine instead of double tapp, and then he didn't want to go to the PAP? Something's up," Dempsey told them. All three of those things were uncharacteristic for me. I love killing, love double tapp, and love studying the German ingenuity the PAP presented.

I took another sip of the wine as they continued. "That is strange. Perhaps something is hording him back? A feering or memory," Takeo suggested. Nikolai was remaining quiet, a time when I realized that Nikolai was hiding what he knew. He had seen love before, especially within himself, so it's obvious he would know my feelings for Dempsey are still present and very prominent. He did not share anything though, for which I am grateful.

"Nikolai, what're you thinking?" Dempsey inquired, catching my attention.

"Wondering what upgrade Nikolai will get like fireworks or turned when Nikolai has enough points," he replied. I let out a sigh of relief and decided to continue walking to my room, closing the door.

The widow's wine burned slightly as I drank it, but the taste was well worth it. It made my mind a little muddled and fuzzy as I stopped thinking deeply. I was near falling asleep when a knock sounded at my door. I could take a gander who it was, even in this state of mind, and win the bet.

I left the warmth of the bed and opened the door, seeing Takeo. I knew it. He looked concerned, a flash of worry dancing in his brown eyes. His hands were held in fists at his sides, one of which nervously bobbed his katana back and forth.

"Richtofen, are you arright?" he worried. I only nodded and he continued. "You've been off ratery, what is wrong?"

"Nozhing Ish vrong," I softly replied.

"Tarking wirr herp, tark to me."

My eyes closed and I shook my head, closing the door before returning to the bed. It had lost it's warmth, but I could change that within a few minutes. My window was open to let fresh air in when I heard Dempsey growl.

"Dammit all! Richtofen!" he called from the teleporter. No warming my bed and no finishing the widow's wine, I suppose. I made my way back downstairs to find Dempsey thrumming his fingers against his arm and tapping his foot. I couldn't help but notice his cheeks had a little more color to them than usual. Strange, could he possibly have the same feelings for me as I do for him?

"Vhat ish it?" I mumbled, still down.

"Why the hell does this thing always break down?" he growled as I began repairing it.

"It's temperamental."

Dempsey furrowed his brows as he thought. "Temper...what?" he asked. I sighed, hissing in pain when it shocked me.

"Temperamental. It means fragile basically," I replied. As I continued on the repairs, I took quick glances at the male sitting next to me, noticing him smiling as his blush darkened a shade. A small smile surfaced on my own lips at the thought I made Dempsey blush

"Zhat should do it, let's tesht it," I smiled and got up, standing in the teleporter. Dempsey grinned broadly as he carried his thunder gun in with. I fiddled with the MP40 on my waist before pressing the button.