Chapter 7

A...baby.  A little baby girl was laying on the floor wrapped in a red blanket.  I rushed over to check her for wounds.  When finding none, I looked into her sapphire blue eyes and saw her give a nearly toothless grin.  One of her front teeth was beginning to come in.  This little girl had already stolen my heart just from me looking into her sparkling eyes.

"Aww, how cute!" I cooed as I picked her up into my arms.  Dempsey walked over and smiled, lightly holding her head as he wrapped an arm around my waist.

"She really is," he agreed and kissed her forehead, making her giggle.  I then realized that she needed a name...but what?  She seemed extremely joyful, even in this horrible world.  That's when it hit me.

"Joy," I smiled.

"Come again?"

I smiled at Dempsey.  "Joy...zhat can be her name," I said softly.  He thought for a moment before smiling with a nod.

"It's fitting.  Our little Joy," he whispered the last part, gently placing his forehead against hers.  She giggled and grinned, lightly patting his cheeks.  This earned Joy a soft chuckle from the American as he softly kissed her nose.

The next thing I heard was two sets of footsteps—one quiet as night and the other loud as thunder—rushing to the lobby before coming to a stop.  Looking back revealed Nikolai and Takeo, the Russian panting heavily from running as the Japanese man stood tall.

"We heard cries and came to investigate, but it seems the two of you found the source," Takeo spoke softly as he walked forward, looking at the small child with a hint of a smile quirking his lips upward.  I almost questioned whether I had seen the near smile, but my eyes were not deceiving me when looking a second time.  Nikolai soon followed, drunkenly laying an arm over Takeo's shoulders.  The smaller male growled in irritation as he pulled away.

"Little baby made noises.  How cute," he grinned, his vodka breath making Takeo and myself gag in disgust.  Dempsey and I held Joy protectively between us.

"Try to give her vodka and I'll send you back to that insane hospital," Dempsey growled.  A smirk surfaced on my lips when seeing Nikolai pale significantly, running back to the stage quicker than I'd ever seen him go.  Takeo chuckled softly before shooting a tiny smile at Joy and leaving to meditate in his room.

Dempsey kept me close to him as he sat on the couch, pulling me into his lap while I held Joy in my arms.  A crimson blush quickly dusted my cheeks, making Joy giggle.  How embarrassing, my new daughter's even laughing at my blushing.  I then felt a gentle, caring kiss pressed to my neck.

"Don't be embarrassed, cupcake, she won't remember," Dempsey assured.  I shook my head.

"Jou don't know zhat, she could be one of zhe shpecial children zhat ish able to retain zhings at a very early age!" I whined, feeling another few kisses pressed to my cheek.

"So what if she is, don't be embarrassed," he cooed.  I couldn't help it when my blush darkened further, making Dempsey chuckle.

A yawn broke us out of our conversation, turning our attention to Joy as she cuddled into my chest in tiredness.  I couldn't help but watch her being so cute with a large grin.  Carefully standing up, followed by Dempsey, the two of us made our way back to our shared room.  Dempsey has gone into another room before returning with a crib.  When seeing my questioning look, he laughed.

"I found this broken in a different room and decided to restore it since that's a hobby of mine.  I hadn't even thought we'd need it," he softly laughed, careful not to wake Joy.

I rolled my eyes with a soft chuckle before setting her in the crib.  The blanket came off her head slightly to reveal a tuft of red hair, making me smile at how well it suits her.  Dempsey wrapped his arms around my waist from behind me.  Before anything more could be done, I felt a headache forming as it quickly became a migraine.

I noticed Dempsey frown in the corner of my eye as I fought to keep from listening to the voices fighting.  I hadn't heard them in so long, so why am I hearing them now?  They keep screaming about the MPD, going and trying to find it among other things.

Dempsey thought quickly as he laid me on our bed before grabbing some painkillers, helping me take the dreaded medication.  I groaned softly in pain.  Stupid voices, screaming and giving me a migraine.  If this keeps up, I'll need to destroy that blasted MPD.

'But you won't destroy it, you want the absolute power,' one yelled.  I growled inwardly.

'Nein, I don't!'

'Dempsey doesn't truly care, the girl hates you.

'You're vrong!' came my angered reply as I pushed it all away to the best of my abilities. They wouldn't stop screaming and shouting.

"Eddie, if it's the voices, just ignore them as much as you can," Dempsey spoke softly, breaking me out of my thoughts. The voices seemed to stop as I looked at Dempsey, leaving me with the migraine. I smiled and gently pulled him next to me, laying my head on his chest.

"Ve need to destroy zhe MPD."